Thursday, April 03, 2014
Webmaster Level: Advanced
In October, we announced guidelines for App Indexing for deep linking directly from Google Search results to your Android app. Thanks to all of you that have expressed interest. We've just enabled 20+ additional applications that users will soon see app deep links for in Search Results, and starting today we're making app deep links to English content available globally.
We're continuing to onboard more publishers in all languages. If you haven't added deep link support to your Android app or specified these links on your website or in your Sitemaps, please do so and then notify us by filling out this form.
Here are some best practices to consider when adding deep links to your sitemap or website:
- App deep links should only be included for canonical web URLs.
- Remember to specify an app deep link for your homepage.
- Not all website URLs in a Sitemap need to have a corresponding app deep link. Do not include app deep links that aren't supported by your app.
- If you are a news site and use News Sitemaps, be sure to include your deep link annotations in the News Sitemaps, as well as your general Sitemaps.
- Don't provide annotations for deep links that execute native ARM code. This enables app indexing to work for all platforms.
When Google indexes content from your app, your app will need to make HTTP requests that it usually makes under normal operation. These requests will appear to your servers as originating from Googlebot. Therefore, your server's robots.txt file must be configured properly to allow these requests.
Finally, please make sure the back button behavior of your app leads directly back to the search results page.