This page details the major updates made to the Google Search developer documentation.
- July 1: Clarified in the AMP logo guidelines in the Article documentation that the logo can be in any format supported by Google Images.
- June 30: Added more examples to the Carousel documentation, and clarified the supported types and how to add them.
- June 23: Added a note to differentiate between guidelines applicable to Article AMP logo guidelines and generic Logo guidelines.
- June 19: Added a
contentUrlrequirement to Image License Metadata to make it clear that the feature needs a specific image URL to apply the license to.
- June 16: Added native lazy-loading to the lazy-loading guide.
- June 15: Added monitoring rich results video and more detailed information on using Search Console to monitor rich results to structured data reference pages (for example Product, Recipe, FAQ).
- June 12: Added
.webp, too, to the list of supported image file formats for Logo structured data.
- June 10: Added
.svgto the list of supported image file formats for Logo structured data.
- June 8: Clarified that the recognized values for an
applicationCategoryon a Software App are of type
- June 4: Clarified in the
Sitelinks search box article that the
search query parameter key can be any string permitted by
RFC 3986; it
doesn't have to be
- May 28: Add new documentation that explains page experience in Google Search results.
- May 27: Updated the Job
training developer documentation to require the
occupationalCategoryproperty, recommend the
descriptionproperty, and remove the requirement of the
urlproperty. Also updated the
financialAidEligiblefields to have more precise value specifications.
- May 19: Added new guidance on how to enable Web Stories on Google.
- May 15: Added a note to the Product structured data documentation about how to be eligible for the Google Shopping tab. Learn more about the data and eligibility requirements.
- May 11:
- Added guidance on how to reduce the Googlebot crawl rate.
- Removed the following documentation that has been deprecated
since June 2019:
- Social Profile structured data: We now automatically discover social profiles to include in Google knowledge panels. If you’re verified as an official representative, you can suggest a change directly. Learn more at Update your Google knowledge panel.
- Corporate Contact structured data: We now automatically discover corporate contact information to include in Google knowledge panels. If you’re verified as an official representative of a Google knowledge panel, you can suggest a change directly. Learn more at Update your Google knowledge panel.
- Place Actions structured data: Instead, scheduling providers can use the Maps Booking API. Google Search continues to support existing partners that added Place Action structured data prior to June 17, 2019.
- May 7:
- The Rich Result Test now supports Article structured data on AMP pages. Removed the following recommended
fields from the documentation because we no longer need these signals:
- Added a video to the Submit URLs guide that explains what a sitemap is, whether you need one or not, and how to submit a sitemap and track its status using Search Console.
- Removed the page about joining the Mini-apps Early Adopters Program. The program is no longer accepting submissions.
- The Rich Result Test now supports Article structured data on AMP pages. Removed the following recommended fields from the documentation because we no longer need these signals:
- May 6: Added information about how to test robots.txt markup.
- May 5:
- Updated the Job posting content policies to have a clear structure and language that describes what Google will enforce. Added the following new policies:
SpecialAnnouncementstructured data to include information on how to use Search Console to troubleshoot markup and analyze the rich result performance.
- Podcasts on Google information has migrated to the new Podcasts Manager help center. Visit the help center to learn how to get your podcast on Google.
- May 1: Updated the Indexing API documentation
to include the
<meta name="robots" content="noindex" />tag as an option for removing a URL.
- April 30:
- Updated the Breadcrumb structured data documentation to have some explanatory text on how breadcrumbs relate to URL paths.
- April 27: Updated the Job training structured data documentation to require 2-letter country codes for provider addresses.
- April 23: Added missing meta description issue to the list of error messages in the mobile-first indexing best practices.
- April 22: Updated the Paywalled content structured data documentation to include a list of supported types.
- April 20: Added COVID-19 resources for sites from Google Search and Best practices for education sites
- April 16:
- Added a new example and optional properties to support COVID-19 announcements about government benefits:
- Updated the Job Posting structured data documentation to highlight markup for work from home jobs. Added a screenshot of the feature in Google Search, a code example, and a banner at the top of the documentation.
- April 14: Added optional properties to the Event
structured data documentation:
- April 10: Updated the COVID-19 announcements documentation. The Rich Results Test now supports
- April 8:
- Added a note to COVID-19
announcements documentation to clarify that businesses should use
LocalBusinessmarkup or Google My Business to update store hours and post updates.
- Added a new case study that showcases how Saramin increased organic Search traffic 2x by investing in SEO.
- Added a note to COVID-19 announcements documentation to clarify that businesses should use
- April 7: Updated the Event structured data documentation to state that the timezone UTC/GMT offset is required for online events, since there is no location information that Google can use to understand when the event starts.
- April 3:
- Removed the caution note about the Structured Data Testing Tool from the
announcements documentation. The Structured Data Testing Tool now supports
announcementLocation. Added a new screenshot of an announcement in Search results. Added a new example that shows a page with multiple announcements, and added Microdata examples.
- Removed the caution note about the Structured Data Testing Tool from the COVID-19 announcements documentation. The Structured Data Testing Tool now supports
- April 2: Added new guidance on how to submit COVID-19 announcements in Search Console. Added information on how to sign up for the technical support group. At first, we’ll be accepting only national government domains and US state level agencies. For more information about the group, read our announcement.
- March 31: Added new guidance for how to add structured data to COVID-19 announcements. This feature is still under development, and you may see changes in requirements, guidelines, and how the feature appears in Google Search.
- March 26: Added new guidance for how to pause your online business.
- March 24:
- In the Estimated Salary
documentation, replaced the
unitTextproperty with the
durationproperty. Starting March 24, 2020, we updated the documentation to require
unitText. While we continue to support
unitText, we require
durationmoving forward. We recommend that you switch over to using
duration, if possible.
- Updated the Google Podcasts brand assets to include localized Google Podcasts badges in 49 languages.
- In the Estimated Salary documentation, replaced the
- March 23: Added a new recommended field to the Package tracking developer documentation:
- March 20:
- Added the Latest updates page (this page), which includes the major updates made to the Google Search developer documentation in March 2020.
- Added a note to the Event structured data documentation about the new optional properties that were added on March 16-17, 2020. The Rich Results Test now supports the new properties.
- March 17:
- Added optional properties to the Event
structured data documentation:
location.urlfor online events. For more information about this change, check out our blog post.
- Added general
troubleshooting info to the Sitelinks search box documentation. Clarified that
while Google Search may automatically display a search box scoped to your website,
it's still helpful to explicitly provide information by adding
WebSitestructured data, which can help Google better understand your site.
- In the Job training developer documentation,
hasCredentialproperty from the list of recommended properties for
EducationalOccupationalProgram. This is because
hasCredentialis only recommended for the
Organizationtype on schema.org, not
- Added optional properties to the Event structured data documentation:
- March 16: Added optional properties to the
Event structured data documentation:
previousStartDate. For more information about this change, check out our blog post.
- March 5:
- In the Product structured data
documentation, clarified that one of the following properties is required:
offers. Changed the expected type for
Thingis still accepted).
- Added new recommended fields to the Package
tracking developer documentation:
- In the Product structured data documentation, clarified that one of the following properties is required:
- March 3: Added hostload issues to the list of error messages in the mobile-first indexing best practices.