With cloud-based maps styling you can control the behavior and appearance of points of interest (POIs) on the map. POIs can include parks, schools, and government buildings, and appear on the map with their corresponding icons by default.
You can customize which POI categories to display. To set the visibility for a POI category:
- In the Style Editor, select the POI category to filter (for example Shopping).
- In the Element type pane, select All. The Stylers pane appears.
Under Visibility select an option:
- Inherit (default) lets the Maps API decide when to display POIs of this category.
- On always display POIs of this category.
- Off never display POIs of this category.
POI density control
You can adjust the density of how points of interest are displayed on a map. Increasing the density displays more points of interest of the selected type. Decreasing the density displays fewer points of interest.
To adjust the density:
Select Points of interest in the Style Editor to open the Element type pane.
Move the slider at the top of the pane to the desired density. You should see the density of points of interest adjust on the map.
Select Save to save the style.
Illustrated landmark POI markers
Landmarks and prominent places have their own special markers. You can choose from two different marker styles to represent these types of places: Standard POI markers are similar in appearance to other POI markers; Illustrated POI markers feature a more distinctive appearance.
To set the marker style:
- Select Points of interest in the Style Editor to open the Element type pane.
Select the Standard marker style to display standard POI markers:
Select the Illustrated marker style to display distinctive POI markers: