If your Action is a companion of existing apps on different platforms (e.g., the web or Android), you can use account linking to securely make users' preferences available to all platforms, which ensures a consistent cross-platform experience.
Account linking for Actions on Google uses Google Sign-In, Google's secure authentication system, and optionally, OAuth 2.0 (an industry-standard protocol for authorization).
Visit our developer site for more technical guidance.
- Find a match for the account in your authentication system (if the user has already used your Action or one of your apps on other platforms)
- Create a new account in your authentication system for a new user
Use Google Sign-In if:
- Your Action(s) target only the Assistant
- You don't have an existing authentication system
- You have an existing authentication system and only want to link to users who signed up to your existing apps using their @gmail.com address
Use OAuth and Google Sign-In if:
- You have multi-platform Actions
- You have an existing authentication system and you want to allow users to connect to non @gmail.com addresses
- You want to link accounts using Google profile information
- You need to create new accounts using the Google profile information (optional)