Mobile is changing the world. Today, everyone has smartphones with them, constantly communicating and looking for information. In many countries, the number of smartphones has surpassed the number of personal computers; having a mobile-friendly website has become a critical part of having an online presence.
If you haven't made your website mobile-friendly, you should. The majority of users coming to your site are likely to be using a mobile device.
- If you don't know if your website is mobile-friendly, take the Mobile Friendly Test now.
- If you used content management software like Wordpress to build your website, check out our guide to customizing your website software.
- If you're technical enough to do it yourself, check out our Mobile SEO Guide.
Why make a website mobile-friendly?
In the USA, 94% of people with smartphones search for local information on their phones. Interestingly, 77% of mobile searches occur at home or at work, places where desktop computers are likely to be present.
Mobile is critical to your business – whether you're blogging about your favorite sports team, working on the website for your community theater, or selling products to potential clients. Make sure that visitors can have a good experience on your site when they're visiting from their mobile devices.
How do I start?
The work involved in making a mobile-friendly site depends on your developer resources, business model, and expertise. For an example of how a desktop site might be redesigned to work on mobile, see the following diagram:
For more information on the technical implementation of a mobile site, see our docs on Mobile SEO.
How much does it cost to build a site for mobile devices?
It varies. For example, here are some of the possibilities:
- Going mobile can be free if you can select a responsive template or theme for your website. A responsive template or theme adapts the display to the visitor no matter if they are using a desktop, tablet, or mobile phone.
- Going mobile can be free if you have the technical skills to build your mobile site. Check out Web Fundamentals.
- Going mobile will likely cost time and money if you need to hire a developer. Furthermore, if your website was created several years ago, a new developer might recommend starting from scratch (so you'll be paying for a complete makeover). This is because there are new web development techniques and themes (or page templates) that may make it more efficient to re-do -- rather than modify -- your site. This is especially the case for sites that are using outdated e-commerce platforms.
The good news is that if you start from scratch there may be an existing template or theme that you can utilize. You may be able to reuse your existing content which can hopefully save time and money.
What are the next steps?
If your site was made by selecting a template or theme from third-party website software, check out Customize Your Website Software for Mobile Users, which can be the fastest way to become mobile-friendly.
If you want more information on the mobile website implementation process, check out our docs on Mobile SEO.