You can enhance the appearance and coverage of your official website and presence in Search results by first establishing it with Google. By adding structured data markup to your site, you can enable more of your site’s functional and visual elements to appear directly in results and in Knowledge Graph cards. This makes it easier for users to recognize your official site and reach information you provide more easily when they search.
This document covers the following site attributes you can enable for search results:
- Business details like physical location and contact information
- Marketing details like your official name, logo, and social profile info
Establish your business details with Google
Google offers a variety of ways to help you provide key business details so that they show up for users in Search results. This section describes how to make your businesses location, official site, and content info available for results, Knowledge Graph cards, and Google Maps.
Add your local business
To claim an existing physical business or create a new one, use Google My Business. Once you verify yourself as the owner of a listing, you can provide and edit your address, contact info, business type, and photos. This enables your local business information to show up in Google Maps and in Knowledge Graph cards.
Register your website with Search Console
The first order of establishing your website as an official presence is to verify ownership in Search Console. This process verifies the owners and operators of the site. Once you've verified your website or app, you can use Search Console to configure how Google displays information about your site, such as your preferred navigational sitelinks, setting your preferred domain, and other site settings.
Provide business contact markup
Enable your company's contact information to prominently display customer service phone numbers in Google Knowledge Graph cards in some searches with corporate contact markup. Include the contact markup on one page in your official site. See details in the data type reference for Corporate Contact to publish markup code for service phone numbers that are national or global in scope.
Add your site’s name, logo, and social links
You can provide marketing information for your site for broader reach and recognition in Search results.
- Site logo: You can specify which image Google should use as your organization's logo in search results and the Knowledge Graph. To do this, add schema.org Organization markup to your official website that identifies the location of your preferred logo.
- Social profile: Google only shows verified profiles for sites with a verification process. Google algorithms find information that is publicly available on the web. If you’re verified as an official representative, you can suggest an update your Google knowledge panel to override the information Google finds automatically.
Breadcrumb trails on a page indicate the page's position in the site hierarchy. A user can navigate all the way up in the site hierarchy, one level at a time, by starting from the last breadcrumb in the breadcrumb trail. See the examples and property details on the BreadCrumbList data type reference.
Troubleshooting your markup
This section describes common approaches to troubleshooting your site enhancement markup.
- Use the Structured Data Testing Tool to test your markup to make sure properties specify suitable values, such as a correct name, contact info, and logo. Give our system a week to find and update your site details in Search results.
- Make suggested changes to Knowledge Graph cards.
If you have waited at least one week since your marked-up page was last crawled by Google, report information that you believe is incorrect in a Knowledge Graph card, by clicking the Feedback link at the bottom of the Knowledge Graph card. If you are a recognized authority or the site or entity represented in the Knowledge Graph card, you will see more options for providing specific edits.
Learn more in Request a Change to the Knowledge Graph Card in the Help Center.