Mark up your course lists with structured data so prospective students find you through Google Search. You can provide details including the course name, who's offering it, and a short description.
Here's an example of a course in JSON-LD using the Structured Data Testing Tool:
In addition to the general structured data guidelines, Course markup should follow these additional guidelines:
- Only use course markup for educational content that fits the following definition of a course: A series or unit of curriculum that contains lectures, lessons, or modules in a particular subject and/or topic.
- A course must have an explicit educational outcome of knowledge and/or skill in a particular subject and/or topic, and be led by one or more instructors with a roster of students.
- A general public event such as “Astronomy Day” is not a course, and a single 2-minute “How to make a Sandwich Video” is not a course.
- Each course's name and
provider must be a valid
name and have a valid title. For example, the following naming practices are not valid:
- Promotional phrases: "Best school in the world"
- Prices in course titles: "Learn ukulele - only $30!"
- Using a non-course for a title, such as: "Make money fast with this class!"
- Discounts or purchase opportunties, such as: "Leaders in their fields share their secrets — 25% off!"
Structured data type definitions
You must include the required properties for your content to be eligible for display as a rich result. You can also include the recommended properties to add more information about your content, which could provide a better user experience.
The full definition of
Course is available at
A description of the course. Display limit of 60 characters.
The title of the course.
The organization that publishes the source content of the course. For example, UC Berkeley.
Use the following
ItemList properties to define a carousel that is specific to
your site. While
ItemList isn't required, you must add the following properties
if you want your course to be eligible for a host carousel. In addition to the
course guidelines, follow
our guidelines for generating
Annotation for a single item page.
Ordinal position of the item page in the list.
The canonical URL of the item page. Every item should have a unique URL.