Server-side Tag Manager allows you to move your Google Ads remarketing tags from the webpage to the server. Moving these tags to the server will reduce the amount of code you have to run in the page, and may help improve page load times.
The following sections describe how to configure your Tag Manager web container and server container to use the Ads remarketing tag. This article assumes that you already have a server container created.
Send data from the web container to the server container.
All measurement for Ads products in a server container relies on the Google Analytics: GA4 Config tag in your web container to send data.
- Configure a Google Analytics: GA4 Configuration tag
- Set up a trigger for the configuration tag. The built-in All pages trigger is recommended for most cases.
Set up Google Analytics: GA4 client
Follow these instructions to set up your Google Analytics: GA4 client. If you already have a Google Analytics: GA4 client configured in your server container, you can skip this step.
Set up the Ads Remarketing tag in the server container
From your server container workspace, select Tags on the left side of the page
- Click New
Select the Google Ads Remarketing tag type
Enter the conversion information
- Conversion ID is required. Follow these steps to find the correct values in your Google Ads account.
Open the Choose a trigger window.
Select a trigger, such as All Pages.
Enter a tag name and click Save.
Validate your implementation
Once you start sending data with the server container, you can check to see if it’s working properly by following these steps:
- Select Preview from the server container homepage.
- Click Tags. This will show the tags that have fired and can be used to validate whether the Ads Conversion Remarketing tag has fired.
- Click Errors. It is important to check the Errors section as well, since this will surface any errors that occurred during the transmission of data to the server container.