Most of the principles that apply to good technical documentation also apply to accessible technical documentation:
- Use correct grammar and punctuation.
- Use active voice and present tense.
- Write clear, simple sentences.
- Be consistent.
- Avoid jargon, slang, and the like.
- Beware of dangling modifiers.
- Use the conjunction "that" where you might otherwise omit it.
Not recommended: The API picker lists the most common things you may want to do.
Recommended: The API picker lists the most common things that you may want to do.
- Use the simplest terminology.
- Use colors judiciously:
- Keep in mind that some color-blind people cannot tell red from green.
- Make sure that your text color contrasts sufficiently with your background color.