Subscribe to these release notes.
This page is updated with each new release of the Google Photos Library API. The changelog lists releases by date and includes any new features, bug fixes and other changes.
The documentation and guides point to the latest version to use.
June 12, 2019
Issue 110188560: New
search filter to select media
items that have been marked as favorite:
- New content categories
ContentFilterto filter media items that match specific categories:
May 7, 2019
- New Codelab: Build a Photo Sharing app with Google Photos and Flutter. Learn how to build a photo sharing app using the Google Photos Library API in Flutter. See the samples guide for details.
April 29, 2019
Issue 109505022: New calls to add and remove
existing media items to an album.
These calls support media items and albums that have been created by your application. More details are available in the manage albums developer guide.
The REST call for creating media items
mediaItems.batchCreatenow returns HTTP status
207 MULTI-STATUSfor partial success if some media items could not be created. More details are available in the Uploading media developer guide.
- The latest versions of the client libraries
include a breaking change. Classes related to
DateRangehave moved to a new dedicated package. Their functionality has not changed, only their location in the client library. Refer to the release notes for the Java client library (1.2.0) and PHP client library (1.2.0).
February 14, 2019
- A new quota limit for accessing media bytes from base URLs applies. You can monitor this quota in the Google API Console.
January 21, 2019
January 7, 2019
- Issue 118464845:
mediaItems.listreturned too many empty pages.
- Issue 111714379:
mediaItems.searchreturned half the
November 30, 2018
- New call
mediaItems.batchGetto retrieve multiple media items by their identifiers.
- Issue 111279349: New call
sharedAlbums.leaveto leave a joined album.
- Issue 111279347: New call
albums.unshareto mark a shared album as private.
- Issue 113978705: Descriptions set in
mediaItems.batchCreatewere converted to HTML entities.
- Issue 114462217: Filename could not be set for
video files in
- Issue 118475587: Invalid product URLs were returned for media items.
- Issue 111862704: 403 errors when accessing base URLs.
- Issue 115932469: Uploads failing with quota error.
September 6, 2018
- Java and PHP client libraries are now available.
- Google Photos Library API has entered the general availability. Thanks for your feedback and feature requests during the Library API developer preview period.
- Check out the new guides for getting started with Java and PHP client libraries.
- Sample Java and PHP code snippets have been added to the guides to demonstrate the usage of client libraries.
September 5, 2018
- New call
sharedAlbums.getto get an album using the
- New property
shareInfoto identify if the user has joined the shared album.
- Issue 79321120:
mimeTypeproperty was missing in the mediaItems.batchCreate response for video media items.
- Issue 79319272: Properties such as
contributorInfowere missing in the mediaItems.batchCreate response.
- Issue 110237685: Fixed CORS-related file upload issue.
- Issue 79318118: Consistent order was not being maintained when uploading multiple items to an album in the mediaItems.batchCreate call.
- If you stored IDs (such as IDs for albums, media items or enrichment items) before 5 September 2018, they will no longer work as the format has changed. You will need to obtain new IDs for use in your application.
totalMediaItemsproperty of the album resource renamed to
- The maximum value of the
pageSizeparameter in the mediaItems.list and mediaItems.search calls has been changed to 100. The default number of media items returned when the
pageSizeparameter is not specified has been changed to 25.
- List library contents,
Share media and
Access media items guides updated with
excludeNonAppCreatedDatafilter feature released on July 31, 2018.
July 31, 2018
- New call
mediaItems.listto list media items.
- New filter
excludeNonAppCreatedDatato search for items or list albums created by your app.
- New parameters to access images:
sharedAlbums.joincall now returns an album.
- Issue 109655786:
albumnow contains the media item id of the cover photo,
- Issue 79656863:
mediaItemnow contains the filename of the media item,
- Issue 79757390: Filename was not being set during
upload requests. See
X-Goog-Upload-Protocolfields in the Upload media guide.
- Issue 80182372: Resumable uploads returned an error. See the new Resumable uploads guide for the updated protocol.
- Issue 79497397:
isWriteableproperty missing in the albums.list response.
- Issue 111143493:
PEOPLEcontent category filter was returning inaccurate results.
- Issue 111056278:
BIRTHDAYScontent category filter was returning an error.
Preview release - May 8, 2018
Initial release of the Library API.
GET mediaItemthrows an error if the media item
idit receives is for a media item that's from a shared album and isn't owned by the user.
- The response from the
batchCreatecall won't return
- If the media item is a video, the
batchCreatecall won't return a
batchCreatedoesn't maintain consistent order when uploading multiple items.
batchCreatedoesn't support ordering (adding in a
position) when creating media items in a shared album as the owner of the shared album. It defaults to the end of the album.