Subscribe to these release notes.
This page is updated with each new release of the Google Photos Library API. The changelog lists releases by date and includes any new features, bug fixes and other changes.
The documentation and guides point to the latest version to use.
October 27, 2022
- The "Build a Photo Sharing app with Google Photos and Flutter" codelab is no longer available. Please review our other samples and refer to the sample code within our guides.
June 1, 2022
- Added best practices for uploading to help clarify the upload process, call out common errors and how to avoid them, and provide tips for improving upload efficiency.
October 27, 2021
- Google Photos Partner Program: launch of the premier tier. The premier tier is a suite of enhanced API features that leverage the powerful machine intelligence of Google photos.
September 29, 2021
- New option to sort date filter based searches. Results can be sorted newest first or oldest first. This allows for easier searching and improves efficiencies by providing better targeted search results.
July 21, 2021
-noparameter for video base URLs to load thumbnails without a playback button overlay. By default video thumbnails load with a playback button overlay. This new parameter gives you control to hide the playback button on video thumbnails.
- Issue 181282432: Video thumbnails always displayed with a playback button overlay.
May 25, 2021
exposureTimeproperty was not populated for
photometadata in media items.
May 19, 2021
- The base URL documentation for motion
photos has been
updated to clarify the behaviour of the
=dvparameter for Android motion photos and iOS Live Photos.
February 11, 2021
- The Acceptable Use Policy has been updated, adding content on advertising and minimizing data use.
July 7, 2020
- The API has been updated to support
new sharing controls in Google Photos.
A new field,
isJoinable, is now returned as part of the
shareInfoproperty for shared albums. The API can join users to a shared album when
true. If an owner has disabled link sharing on an album in Google Photos,
false, and the API will not be able to join users to that album.
- Issues 111405623,
117685011: You can now
change album titles and cover photos,
and change descriptions for media items
your app has created. Request the new
photoslibrary.edit.appcreateddataauthorization scope for update access.
February 17, 2020
- The maximum upload file size of a photo has been increased from 75 MB to 200 MB.
- When you upload files, a MIME type must now be specified in the byte upload stage.
- You now specify filenames when creating a media
item, instead of
when uploading media bytes. The new
simpleMediaItemsupports UTF-8 strings. You can still specify a media item's filename when uploading media bytes, however we strongly recommend updating your implementation.
- The Acceptable Use Policy has been updated, with some extra details focusing on minimizing data use and storage.
- The base URL documentation has been updated to include motion photos.
August 16, 2019
- Issue 131874809: New property
shareInfoto identify if the user is the owner of the shared album. More details are available in the share media developer guide.
- Issue 131711405:
shareableUrlproperty was missing in the
- Issue 113870729:
mediaItems.listsometimes returned duplicate media items at page boundaries.
- Issue 93428763: The
statusfield for video metadata now correctly returns the
VideoProcessingStatusof the highest quality video available.
June 12, 2019
- Issue 110188560: New
search filter to select
media items that have been marked as favorite:
- New content
categories for the
ContentFilterto filter media items that match specific categories:
- Updated UX Guidelines that provide additional guidance for naming projects and albums.
May 7, 2019
- New Codelab: Build a Photo Sharing app with Google Photos and Flutter. Learn how to build a photo sharing app using the Google Photos Library API in Flutter. See the samples guide for details.
April 29, 2019
Issue 109505022: New calls to add and remove existing media items to an album:
These calls support media items and albums that have been created by your application. More details are available in the manage albums developer guide.
The REST call for creating media items
mediaItems.batchCreatenow returns HTTP status
207 MULTI-STATUSfor partial success if some media items could not be created. More details are available in the Uploading media developer guide.
- The latest versions of the client
libraries include a breaking change.
Classes related to
DateRangehave moved to a new dedicated package. Their functionality has not changed, only their location in the client library. Refer to the release notes for the Java client library (1.2.0) and PHP client library (1.2.0).
February 14, 2019
- A new quota limit for accessing media bytes from base URLs applies. You can monitor this quota in the Google API Console.
- Issue 124355983: 500 errors when calling
mediaItems.getfor some shared media items.
January 21, 2019
- Issue 121998358:
isWriteableproperty was missing in the
January 7, 2019
- Issue 118464845:
mediaItems.listreturned too many empty pages.
- Issue 111714379:
mediaItems.searchreturned half the
November 30, 2018
- New call
mediaItems.batchGetto retrieve multiple media items by their identifiers.
- Issue 111279349: New call
sharedAlbums.leaveto leave a joined album.
- Issue 111279347: New call
albums.unshareto mark a shared album as private.
- Issue 113978705: Descriptions set in
mediaItems.batchCreatewere converted to HTML entities.
- Issue 114462217: Filename could not be set for
video files in
- Issue 118475587: Invalid product URLs were returned for media items.
- Issue 111862704: 403 errors when accessing base URLs.
- Issue 115932469: Uploads failing with quota error.
September 6, 2018
- Java and PHP client libraries are now available.
- Google Photos Library API has entered the general availability. Thanks for your feedback and feature requests during the Library API developer preview period.
- Check out the new guides for getting started with Java and PHP client libraries.
- Sample Java and PHP code snippets have been added to the guides to demonstrate the usage of client libraries.
September 5, 2018
- New call
sharedAlbums.getto get an album using the
- New property
shareInfoto identify if the user has joined the shared album.
- Issue 79321120:
mimeTypeproperty was missing in the mediaItems.batchCreate response for video media items.
- Issue 79319272: Properties such as
contributorInfowere missing in the mediaItems.batchCreate response.
- Issue 110237685: Fixed CORS-related file upload issue.
- Issue 79318118: Consistent order was not being maintained when uploading multiple items to an album in the mediaItems.batchCreate call.
- If you stored IDs (such as IDs for albums, media items or enrichment items) before 5 September 2018, they will no longer work as the format has changed. You will need to obtain new IDs for use in your application.
totalMediaItemsproperty of the album resource has been renamed to
- The maximum value of the
pageSizeparameter in the mediaItems.list and mediaItems.search calls has been changed to 100. The default number of media items returned when the
pageSizeparameter is not specified has been changed to 25.
- List library contents,
Share media and
Access media items guides updated
excludeNonAppCreatedData](/photos/library/guides/apply-filters#nonapp-created) filter feature released on July 31, 2018.
July 31, 2018
- New call
mediaItems.listto list media items.
- New filter
excludeNonAppCreatedDatato search for items or list albums created by your app.
- New parameters to
- Issue 79871479:
ccrop parameter, to crop image to exact dimensions.
- Issue 110343547,
ddownload parameter, to download the original image.
- Issue 79871479:
sharedAlbums.joincall now returns an album.
- Issue 109655786:
albumnow contains the media item ID of the cover photo,
- Issue 79656863:
mediaItemnow contains the filename of the media item,
- Issue 79757390: Filename was not being set
during upload requests. See
X-Goog-Upload-Protocolfields in the Upload media guide.
- Issue 80182372: Resumable uploads returned an error. See the new Resumable uploads guide for the updated protocol.
- Issue 79497397:
isWriteableproperty missing in the albums.list response.
- Issue 111143493:
PEOPLEcontent category filter was returning inaccurate results.
- Issue 111056278:
BIRTHDAYScontent category filter was returning an error.
Preview release - May 8, 2018
Initial release of the Library API.
GET mediaItemthrows an error if the media item
idit receives is for a media item that's from a shared album and isn't owned by the user.
- The response from the
batchCreatecall won't return
- If the media item is a video, the
batchCreatecall won't return a
batchCreatedoesn't maintain consistent order when uploading multiple items.
batchCreatedoesn't support ordering (adding in a
position) when creating media items in a shared album as the owner of the shared album. It defaults to the end of the album.