This guide is intended for publishers who want to use the Google Mobile Ads SDK to load and display ads from Vungle via mediation.
It covers how to add Vungle to an ad unit's mediation configuration, how to set up Ad Network Optimization (ANO), and how to integrate the Vungle SDK and adapter into an iOS app.
Supported formats and features
The AdMob mediation adapter for Vungle has the following capabilities:
|Rewarded Video (new APIs)||Native Advanced||Features|
|Ad Network Optimization (ANO)|
- Xcode 9.2 or higher
- iOS Deployment target of 8.0 or higher
- Google Mobile Ads SDK 7.42.2 or higher
Step 1: Set up Vungle
Add your app to the Vungle Applications dashboard by clicking the Add Application button.
Fill out the form, entering all the necessary details, then click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to add your app to Vungle.
Once your app is created, select your app from the Vungle Applications dashboard.
Take note of the App ID.
Adding new placements
To create a new placement to be used with AdMob mediation, navigate to the Vungle Placements dashboard , click on the Add Placement button and select your app from the drop-down list.
Details for adding new placements are included below:
Select Interstitial, enter a Name for your placement and fill out the rest of the form. Click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to create the placement.
Take note of the Reference ID and click Sounds Good.
Select Rewarded, enter a Name for your placement and fill out the rest of the form. Click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to create the placement.
Take note of the Reference ID and click Sounds Good.
In addition to the App ID and the Reference ID, you'll also need your Vungle Reporting API Key to set up your AdMob ad unit ID. Navigate to the Vungle Reports dashboard and click on the Reporting API Key button to view your Reporting API Key.
Step 2: Configure mediation settings for your AdMob ad unit
You need to add Vungle to the mediation configuration for your ad unit. First, sign in to your AdMob account.
Next, Navigate to the Mediation tab. If you have an existing mediation group you'd like to modify, click the name of that mediation group to edit it, and skip ahead to Add Vungle as an ad source.
To create a new mediation group, select Create Mediation Group.
Enter your ad format and platform, then click Continue.
Give your mediation group a name, and select locations to target. Next, set the mediation group status to Enabled. Then click Add Ad Units.
Associate this mediation group with one or more of your existing AdMob ad units. Then click Done.
You should now see the ad units card populated with the ad units you selected, as shown below:
Add Vungle as an ad source
In the Ad Sources card, select Add Ad Network. Select Vungle and enable the Optimize switch. For API Key, enter the Reporting API Key obtained in the previous section to set up ANO for Vungle. Then enter an eCPM value for Vungle and click Continue.
Enter the Application ID and Placement Reference ID obtained in the previous section. If you're using version 4.x or older of the Vungle SDK, the Placement Reference ID can be any value.
Using rewarded video ads
In the settings for your rewarded video ad unit, provide values for the reward amount and reward type. Then, to ensure you provide the same reward to the user no matter which ad network is served, check the Apply to all networks in Mediation groups box.
If you don't apply this setting, the Vungle adapter defaults to a reward of
vungle with a value of
1. The Vungle SDK does not provide specific
reward values for its rewarded video ads.
Step 3: Import the Vungle SDK and adapter
Using CocoaPods (recommended)
Add the following line to your project's Podfile:
From the command line run:
pod install --repo-update
Download the latest version of the Vungle SDK and link
VungleSDK.frameworkin your project.
Download the latest version of the Vungle Adapter and link
VungleAdapter.frameworkin your project.
Add the following Frameworks to your project:
Step 4: Add required code
Vungle requires a list of all the placements that will be used within your app
to be passed to their SDK for initialization. You can provide the list of
placements to the adapter using the
allPlacements property. The following code example shows how to use this class.
GADRequest *request = [GADRequest request]; VungleAdNetworkExtras *extras = [[VungleAdNetworkExtras alloc] init]; NSMutableArray *placements = [[NSMutableArray alloc]initWithObjects:@"PLACEMENT_ID_1", @"PLACEMENT_ID_2", nil]; extras.allPlacements = placements; [request registerAdNetworkExtras:extras]; [_interstitial loadRequest:request];
Step 5: Test your implementation
To enable test ads, go to your Vungle dashboard and navigate to Applications.
Select your app for which you would like to enable test ads under the Placement Reference ID section of your app. Test ads can be enabled by selecting Test Mode to Show test ads only under the Status section.
That's it! You now have a working mediation integration with Vungle.
EU consent and GDPR
Under the Google EU User Consent Policy, you must ensure that certain disclosures are given to, and consents obtained from, users in the European Economic Area (EEA) regarding the use of device identifiers and personal data. This policy reflects the requirements of the EU ePrivacy Directive and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). When seeking consent, you must identify each ad network in your mediation chain that may collect, receive, or use personal data and provide information about each network's use. Google currently is unable to pass the user's consent choice to such networks automatically.
The section below shows you how to enable or disable personalized ads for Vungle.
In version 18.104.22.168, the Vungle adapter added the
that allows you to pass consent to Vungle. The following sample code sets the
consent status to
VungleConsentAccepted. If you choose to call this method,
it is recommended that you do so prior to requesting ads via the Google Mobile
#import <VungleSDK/VungleSDK.h> #import <VungleAdapter/VungleAdapter.h> ... [VungleRouterConsent updateConsentStatus:VungleConsentAccepted];
You can also check the current consent status for Vungle using the following code:
See Vungle's GDPR recommended implementation for more information.
The Vungle adapter supports an additional request parameter which can be passed
to the adapter using the
VungleAdNetworkExtras class. This class includes the
- Sets whether or not to enable sound when playing video ads.
- A string representing Vungle’s Incentivized User ID.
- An Integer indicating the order in which this ad was shown in the game session. Read more about ordinal data here.
- An Integer to make Flex view ads dismiss automatically after the sepecified number of seconds.
- A String representing Vungle's placement ID.
- An Array consisting of all the Placement ID's in the app (not required for apps implementing Vungle SDK 6.2.0 or higher).
Here's a code example of how to set these parameters at ad request time:
let request = GADRequest() let extras = VungleAdNetworkExtras() extras.muted = true extras.userId = "test-user" ... request.register(extras)
GADRequest *request = [GADRequest request]; VungleAdNetworkExtras *extras = [[VungleAdNetworkExtras alloc] init]; extras.muted = YES; extras.userId = @"test_user"; ... [request registerAdNetworkExtras:extras]; [_interstitial loadRequest:request];
Optimize ad delivery
To ensure Vungle video ads are available as early as possible, you can
optionally initialize the Vungle SDK at the beginning of the application
lifecycle with all the placement IDs your app might use during its execution.
To do so, insert the following code into the
[Vungle configureWithAppID:@"YOUR_VUNGLE_APP_ID" zoneIDs:@[@"PLACEMENT_ID_1", @"PLACEMENT_ID_2"] options:options completion:nil];
Vungle iOS Mediation Adapter Changelog
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.4.6.
- Added support for banner (MREC) ads.
- Fixed a bug where didReceiveInterstitial: callback is called more than once.
- Removed callbacks to adapterWillLeaveApplication, which were previously not invoked at the correct time.
Build and tested with
- Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.52.0
- Vungle SDK version 6.4.6.
- Fixed a crash in [GADMAdapterVungleRewardedAd adAvailable:].
- Fixed a bug where the Vungle adapter would never load rewarded ads if Vungle SDK initialization failed. Now, the adapter will try to re-initialize the Vungle SDK on subsequent rewarded ad requests.
- Now requires Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.42.2 or higher.
- Updated the adapter to use new rewarded API.
- Now requires Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.41.0 or higher.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.3.2.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.3.0.
adapterDidCompletePlayingRewardBasedVideoAd:callback to the adapter.
VungleRouterConsentclass which contains
- Updated Vungle SDK initializer correctly.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.2.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.4.0.
- Updated adapter to correctly report clicks to the Google Mobile Ads SDK.
- Added two new extras to
ordinal- An integer indicating the order in which this ad was shown in the game session.
flexViewAutoDismissSeconds- Sets Flex View ads to automatically close in the specified amount of seconds.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.3.2.
- Updated the deployment target to iOS 8.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.3.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.2.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.1.1.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.1.0.
- Added support for interstitial and rewarded video ad formats.