COVID-19 resources for sites from Google Search
Here are some tips and resources that can help you highlight your website in Google Search. We'll continue to update this page as new resources become available. We encourage you to check our Latest Updates page for updates to the Google Search developer documentation.
- Highlight COVID-19 announcements on Google Search: If you publish
coronavirus-related announcements (for example, a closure notice, shelter-in-place
directive, or quarantine guidelines), add
SpecialAnnouncementstructured data or submit a COVID-19 announcement in Search Console.
- Surface common FAQs: If your site has common FAQs, adding FAQ markup can help Google Search surface your answers.
- Add new event properties: If you hold events, look over the new properties for marking them virtual, postponed, or canceled. We're also recommending a new property to specify the organizer of the event.
- Update or claim your Google knowledge panels: Learn how to recommend changes to your Google knowledge panel (or how to claim it, if you haven't already).
- Fix an overloaded server:
- Learn how to determine a server's bottleneck, quickly fix the bottleneck, improve server performance, and prevent regressions.
- In some cases, Google's crawling of your site might be causing a critical load on your infrastructure, or cause unwanted costs during an outage. To alleviate this, you may decide to reduce the number of requests made by Googlebot.
- Review web development best practices: Review web.dev's end-to-end guide to ensuring your website is available and usable for everyone during COVID-19.
- Pausing your business online: Learn how to pause your business online in a way that minimizes impact in Google Search.
- Business hours and temporary closures:
- Learn how to change your business hours or indicate temporary closures.
- Learn how to create a COVID-19 post on Google.
- Small businesses: Review the resources for small businesses.
Government and health sites
- Review the best practices: Learn how to make health and government information more discoverable on Google Search.
- Join the technical support group, specifically for government and health organizations: National health ministries and US state level agencies that publish COVID-19 information can ask Google Search specific questions in the new technical support group.
If you're a representative of an education site, and your site provides educational content or products in support of schools responding to coronavirus, review our best practices for education sites in Search.
Help and support
We're here to help:
- For general questions about crawling and indexing, check the Google Search crawling and indexing FAQ.
- Ask a question in the Google Search Central Office Hours.
- Post a question in the Google Search Central Help Community.