April 28, 2016: Updated image assets
- Updated all image assets to comply with the UX guidelines.
- Split the lengthy design checklist document by its major headings into seven shorter, better chunked files for faster loading and less scrolling.
- For better consistency, replaced "expanded controls" with "expanded controller" and replaced "persistent controls" with "mini controller".
December 9, 2015: Various updates
- Most of the images for Android, and many for the receiver have been updated throughout.
- In Sender stops cast, Clarified recommended behavior for the Stop Casting user action.
- Updated recommended labeling in the following sections:
- In Sender volume controls, updated volume control guidelines extensively.
- In Cast sequence, added clarification about where content starts for each sequence variation.
- Changed "Cast menu" to "Cast dialog" throughout.
- In Cast dialog, added the recommendation to use the MediaRouter component for Android or follow the reference app examples for iOS, Chrome, or custom implementations.
- In Cast dialog, while casting, removed "Tapping a receiver / content item, closes the cast menu and shows the full controls and info for that content item," as that behavior is not implemented.
- In Sender volume control, clarified that the volume slider in the sender app must reflect volume changes made by the Chromecast remote control.
- In Sender notification, clarified that the developer must provide an "X" to stop casting; this is not provided by the framework.
September 16, 2015: Various updates
- In Sender expanded controller, "Identify elapsed time and content duration for media streams" is restated as a best practice.
March 18, 2015: Updates for volume controls
- A new section, Sender volume controls has been added
November 24, 2014: Updates for guest mode
- Considerations for guest mode have been added througout
May 9, 2014: Cast dialog, Volume, Notifications, Lockscreen and Translations
- Receiver status (e.g. "Casting YouTube") is no longer required in devices list of Cast dialog (link)
- Receiver status and name (e.g. "Casting to Living Room") is no longer required on the lockscreen for music apps (link)
- In Android, the volume slider with cast icon must appear when pressing the volume hardware keys (link)
- Controlling the volume of a cast using the volume hardware buttons on a mobile device is no longer required for iOS (link)
- Use app icon instead of cast icon in notification bar when casting (link)
- Translations of cast terminology are now available (link)
April 11, 2014: Notifications and Lockscreen
- Sender notification and Sender lock screen can be implemented in Android only; there is no provision for these in iOS
March 21, 2014: Updated cast icon
- Cast button states checklist requirements have been updated to reflect the new ON / Connected state of the cast icon
March 10, 2014: Introducing Cast
- Introduce Cast to users is now a checklist requirement
March 7, 2014: Broad refinements
- Updated checklist titles
- More clearly defined "Required" & "Best practices"
- Added sender / receiver screenshot pairs to all states
- Added animated gifs for loading & connecting states
- Added terminology section
- Updated Chrome guidelines to reflect current requirements
- More clearly defined requirements for Sender stops cast
- More clearly defined requiremnts for Sender resumes cast
Images used in this guide are courtesy of the Blender Foundation, shared under copyright or Creative Commons license.
- Elephant's Dream: (c) copyright 2006, Blender Foundation / Netherlands Media Art Institute / www.elephantsdream.org
- Sintel: (c) copyright Blender Foundation | www.sintel.org
- Tears of Steel: (CC) Blender Foundation | mango.blender.org
- Big Buck Bunny: (c) copyright 2008, Blender Foundation / www.bigbuckbunny.org