This guide is intended for publishers who want to use the Google Mobile Ads SDK to load and display ads from Chartboost via mediation. It covers how to add Chartboost to an ad unit's mediation configuration, how to set up Ad Network Optimization (ANO), and how to integrate the Chartboost SDK and adapter into an iOS app.
Supported ad formats and features
The AdMob mediation adapter for Chartboost has the following capabilities:
|Rewarded Video (new APIs)|
|Ad Network Optimization (ANO)|
- Xcode 9.2 or higher
- iOS Deployment target of 8.0 or higher
- Google Mobile Ads SDK 7.42.2 or higher
Step 1: Set up Chartboost
Create a new campaign to enable ads for your app. To create a new campaign navigate to Campaigns > Publishing from the left-side menu and click Add a Campaign (or + Add Campaign at the top right corner of your dashboard if you already have other campaigns) and choose Network Publishing when prompted.
Enter a Name for your publishing campaign, select the Ad Type, select iOS as the Platform and then add your app to the Apps Publishing this Campaign. Click Save to finish adding the campaign.
Select Rewarded Video under APP SETTINGS and add the values for Rewarded Currency Name and Reward per View. Also, uncheck the Pre-Roll and Post-Roll checkboxes under Advanced Settings in order to avoid showing conflicting reward values.
You will now obtain all the parameters that will be used in setting up the ad unit ID in the next section. In your Chartboost dashboard for your app, navigate to APP SETTINGS > Basic Settings to locate your App ID and App Signature.
AdMob requires the Chartboost User ID and User Signature for setting up your AdMob ad unit ID. You can find these parameters on your Chartboost dashboard by navigating to Tools > API Explorer. Your User ID and User Signature are located under the Authentication section.
Step 2: Configure mediation settings for your AdMob ad unit
You need to add Chartboost to the mediation configuration for your ad unit. First sign in to your AdMob account.
Next, navigate to the Mediation tab. If you have an existing mediation group you'd like to modify, click the name of that mediation group to edit it, and skip ahead to Add Chartboost as an ad source.
To create a new mediation group, select Create Mediation Group.
Enter your ad format and platform, then click Continue.
Give your mediation group a name, and select locations to target. Next, set the mediation group status to Enabled. Then click Add Ad Units, which will open up the ad unit selection overlay.
Associate this mediation group with your existing AdMob ad unit. Then click Done.
You should now see the ad units card populated with the ad units you selected.
Add Chartboost as an ad source
In the Ad Sources card, select Add Ad Network. Then select Chartboost.
Enable the Optimize switch. Enter your User ID and User Signature obtained in the previous section to set up ANO for Chartboost. Then enter an eCPM value for Chartboost and click Continue.
Next, enter the App ID and the App Signature obtained in the previous section. Also, enter an Ad Location (e.g. "Game Over Screen") that uniquely identifies this placement in your app.
Chartboost Ad Locations (Named Locations) are simple names representing a place in your app where you want to show an ad. AdMob sends requests to the location specified in the settings. Once requests are sent, Chartboost will add the location to its dashboard for reporting purposes.
In the Chartboost dashboard, your Ad Locations can be revealed in the Basic Settings page by clicking on Advanced Settings. Please see the Chartboost's Named Locations guide for more details.
Finally, click Done to add Chartboost as an ad source, and then click Save. Note: Ad network optimization takes a few days to gather data to accurately calculate eCPM for a mediation network. In the meantime, the ANO status will be PENDING, so you must manually set an eCPM value for the network. Once the eCPM can be calculated, ANO will automatically start updating the eCPM on your behalf.
Using rewarded video ads
In the settings for your rewarded video ad unit, provide values for the reward amount and reward type. Then, to ensure you provide the same reward to the user no matter which ad network is served, check the Apply to all networks in Mediation groups box.
If you don't apply this setting, the Chartboost adapter passes back the reward specified in the Chartboost UI.For more information on setting reward values for AdMob ad units, see Create an ad unit.
Step 3: Import the Chartboost SDK and adapter
Using CocoaPods (recommended)
Add the following line to your project's Podfile:
From the command line run:
pod install --repo-update
Download the latest version of the Chartboost SDK, and link Chartboost.framework and CHAMoatMobileAppKit.framework in your project.
Download the latest version of the Chartboost adapter and link ChartboostAdapter.framework in your project.
Add the following frameworks to your project:
Step 4: Additional code required
Set Allow Non-modular Includes in Framework Modules to
YES under Build
Settings of your target.
-ObjC in Other Linker Flags under your project’s Build Settings
for both Debug and Release.
Step 5: Test your implementation
Test ads can be enabled for your app from Chartboost's dashboard under the APP SETTINGS > Basic Settings as shown below.
Once test mode is enabled, you can request ads using the ad unit ID created earlier and receive a Chartboost test ad.
That's it! You now have a working mediation integration with Chartboost.
EU consent and GDPR
Under the Google EU User Consent Policy, you must ensure that certain disclosures are given to, and consents obtained from, users in the European Economic Area (EEA) regarding the use of device identifiers and personal data. This policy reflects the requirements of the EU ePrivacy Directive and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). When seeking consent, you must identify each ad network in your mediation chain that may collect, receive, or use personal data and provide information about each network's use. Google currently is unable to pass the user's consent choice to such networks automatically.
The section below shows you how to enable or disable personalized ads for Chartboost.
In SDK version 7.3.0, Chartboost
setPIDataUseConsent method. The following sample code sets data
use consent to
NoBehavioral. If you choose to call
this method, it is recommended that you do so prior to requesting ads
via the Google Mobile Ads SDK.
#import <Chartboost/Chartboost.h> // ... [Chartboost setPIDataUseConsent:NoBehavioral];
See Chartboost's GDPR article for more details.
Using interstitial and rewarded video ads
The Chartboost adapter supports additional request parameters which can be
passed to the adapter using the
GADMChartboostExtras class. This class
includes the following properties:
framework- Set the framework name if you are using any custom framework in your application (for example, Unity).
frameworkVersion- Set the framework version you are using in your application.
Here's a code example of how to set these parameters at ad request:
let adRequest = GADRequest() let cbExtras = GADMChartboostExtras() cbExtras.framework = CBFrameworkOther cbExtras.frameworkVersion = "1.2.3" adRequest.registerAdNetworkExtras(cbExtras)
GADRequest *adRequest = [GADRequest request]; GADMChartboostExtras *cbExtras = [[GADMChartboostExtras alloc] init]; cbExtras.framework = CBFrameworkOther; cbExtras.frameworkVersion = @"1.2.3"; [adRequest registerAdNetworkExtras:cbExtras];
- Start a Publishing Campaign provides additional details on how to set up Chartboost publishing campaigns.
Chartboost iOS Mediation Adapter Changelog
- Fixed an issue where requesting banner ads returns no fills.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 8.0.1.
- Added support to request banner ads.
- Added code to correctly initialize the Chartboost SDK.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.5.0.
- Updated the adapter to use the new rewarded API.
- Updated the adapter to handle multiple interstitial requests.
- Now requires Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.42.2 or higher.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.3.0.
adapterDidCompletePlayingRewardBasedVideoAd:callback to the adapter.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.2.0.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.1.2.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.1.1.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.1.0.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.0.4.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.0.3.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.0.2.
- Added support for two new Chartboost error codes.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.0.1.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 7.0.0.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 6.6.3.
- Removed the support for 'armv7s' architecture.
- Fixed a bug where publishers faced a compilation issue in Swift when importing
ChartboostAdapter.frameworkas a module which was importing non-modular Chartboost SDK.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 6.6.2.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 6.6.1.
- Verified compatibility with Chartboost SDK 6.6.0.
- Enabled bitcode support.
- Now distributing Chartboost adapter as a framework.
- To import
ChartboostAdapter.frameworkin your project, make sure to set
Allow Non-modular Includes in Framework Modulesto
YESunder Build Settings of your target.
- Changed the version naming system to [Chartboost SDK version].[adapter patch version].
- Updated the minimum required Chartboost SDK to v6.5.1.
- Updated the minimum required Google Mobile Ads SDK to v7.10.1.
- Fixed a bug to support multiple Chartboost ad locations.
- Apps now get the
interstitialWillDismissScreen:callback when the interstitial ad is about to dismiss.
- Apps now get the
rewardBasedVideoAdDidOpen:callback when a reward-based video ad is opened.
- Removed Chartboost Ad Location from Chartboost extras. Ad Location is now specified in the AdMob console when configuring Chartboost for mediation.
- Initial release. Supports reward-based video ads and interstitial ads.