This guide is intended for publishers interested in adding companion ads to their Android IMA implementation.
- Android application with the IMA SDK integrated. See the BasicExample if you don't already have an app with the SDK integrated.
- An ad tag configured to return a companion ad.
- If you need a sample, check out our FAQ.
If you still need to implement the IMA SDK in your app, check out our Get Started guide.
Adding companion ads to your app
Create a ViewGroup to display your companion
Before requesting a companion, you need to create a space for it in your
layout. In your layout XML, add a
ViewGroup element; in this
example, add a
LinearLayout. In a later step you'll pass a
reference to this element to your
AdDisplayContainer. If you're
integrating into the BasicExample app, add this to
<LinearLayout android:layout_width="match_parent" android:layout_height="50dp" android:layout_gravity="center_horizontal" android:gravity="center" android:textAlignment="center" android:id="@+id/companionAdSlot" />
Create a CompanionAdSlot
The next step is to build a
CompanionAdSlot object, which is
then added to an
AdDisplayContainer takes a list of companion ad slots so you can
display multiple companion ads at once.
- If you're not integrating into BasicExample, you need to first
get a reference to the
ViewGroupwhere the companion is rendered:
ViewGroup mCompanionViewGroup = (ViewGroup) rootView.findViewById(R.id.companionAdSlot);
- If you're integrating into BasicExample, you need to pass a
reference to the companion
VideoPlayerController, like this:
// Set up spots for companions. CompanionAdSlot companionAdSlot = mSdkFactory.createCompanionAdSlot(); companionAdSlot.setContainer(mCompanionViewGroup); companionAdSlot.setSize(728, 90); ArrayList<CompanionAdSlot> companionAdSlots = new ArrayList<CompanionAdSlot>(); companionAdSlots.add(companionAdSlot); mAdDisplayContainer.setCompanionSlots(companionAdSlots);
That's all there is to it! Your application is now displaying companion ads.
- I followed the guide, but I'm not seeing companion ads. What should I do?
- First, check to make sure your tag really is returning companions. To do
this, open the tag in a web browser and look for a CompanionAds tag. If you see
that, check to make sure the size of the companion being returned is the same
size as the dimensions you're passing into the