About our policies
Google offers certain calling and messaging services (“Google Communication Services”) for businesses that allow them to engage their customers and users in ways that are interactive, useful, and create business trust. To ensure that our users have a safe and positive experience when using Google Communication Services, our policies provide a guideline of prohibited and restricted content and practices. Please follow these policies when using Google Communication Services.
If you encounter content or a business that you believe violates any of the below policies, please report it immediately by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that most transactions-related issues or questions (such as refunds for products and services) need to be resolved directly between users and businesses. We will not arbitrate disputes.
Google reserves the right to modify these policies at any time. Google will also exercise its sole discretion in the interpretation and enforcement of these policies in conjunction with the Terms of Service applicable to Google Communication Services (TOS). As between the parties, these policies are deemed a part of, and integrated with, the TOS.
Profile and Registration
You agree to use your real business name in your business profile to help build trust with the users that you (including your agents) communicate with. Your business name, logo, description, and assets shown to users cannot feature content that is mature, offensive or illegal. All of the business information provided to end users (such as business name, branding assets, website and contact information) must be accurate and up-to-date.
If you have a developer/aggregator partner who will be managing an agent's use of Google Communication Services, we require that you must have a direct, contractual relationship with the partner granting the partner all necessary rights to manage the agent's messaging content and branding assets. The partner shall be subjected to Google Communication Services policies and must not be an entity that was previously disapproved by Google.
Privacy and security
Please note that we prohibit collection and use of personal and confidential information, such as national identification number or social security number, payment and financial data (e.g., credit card and bank account numbers), answers to security questions, or passwords outside of a secure flow. When agents are sending such information, they must appropriately obfuscate or mask it (e.g. only displaying the last 4 digits of a credit card number).
Do not use any information about the user's online or offline state for any reason except to directly provide the services to the user, and under no circumstances in a manner that may surprise or disturb a user (including, but not limited to, sending a promotion or advertisement based on them coming back online). Using or sharing user data without specific user consent for the specific use of that data is strictly prohibited.
Illegal content and activities
Keep it legal. You are prohibited from using Google Communications Services to engage in illegal activities or facilitate the purchases or sales of any illegal products and services. Examples include, but are not limited to: child sexual abuse imagery, sales of human organs, sales of animal and regulated species, and human trafficking activities. It is your responsibility to comply with the applicable laws and regulations in your respective country.
To ensure that you do not spam or facilitate transmission of spam, please follow the guidelines below:
- Ensure that you only communicate with users who have explicitly opted into receiving your messages
- Do not send unwanted promotional or commercial content, or aggressively message users
- Do not sell, exchange or distribute user phone numbers without their consent to a third party
- Abide by any applicable local regulations, such as specific opt-in requirements before texting mobile subscribers, record keeping or opt-out requirements
Abuse of the product
Do not misuse Google Communication Services. We want Google Communication Services to be relevant and safe for users, thus we do not allow the following:
- Phishing scams
- Attempting to trick other users or third parties for unfair advantages or financial gain
- Content or behavior that circumvents, harms or interferes with the operation of other agents, Google Communication Services networks, servers, or other infrastructure
- Distribution of malicious or unwanted software that violates Google's Unwanted software policy
- Practices that violate the Google Webmaster Guidelines
Misrepresentation and Impersonation
Users should not feel misled by Google Communication Services. You should be upfront, honest, and provide them with the information that they need to make informed decisions. Google Communication Services must not represent you or your products or services in a way that is not accurate, realistic, and truthful. Do not use our services to mislead or confuse users by pretending to be someone else or pretending to represent an organization you do not represent.
Message content must not:
- Be misleading (e.g., making false statement about the business or qualification, falsely affiliating with other individuals, organizations, products and services, or making false claims which position improbable results are likely outcomes even if there are technically feasible)
- Conceal or misstate information about the business, product, or service (e.g., using a false identity, business name or contact information, offers for products or services that are normally offered for free)
- Contain information which is not clearly relevant to the actual product or service on the destination page
- Fail to disclose the payment model and full expense that a user will bear (e.g., shipping costs and other billing related information; recurring subscription costs)
- Prompt users to initiate a purchase, download, or other commitment without first providing all relevant information and obtaining the user's explicit consent
Editorial and technical requirements
To facilitate high quality user experiences, do ensure that your content conforms with the editorial and professional standards as follow:
- Grammar, spelling and spacing: all business content must use commonly accepted spelling, basic grammar and be written in logical sentence form.
- Symbols: no excessive use of numbers, letters, punctuation marks or emoticons
- Capitalization: business content must not contain excessive or incorrect capitalization
- Gimmicky text: business content must avoid repetition of words, phrases and punctuation, and should not include any unnecessary or irrelevant text.
- Image and video quality: image and video should not be low quality, unclear, appear sideways or upside down
Our content policies are categorized into two groups: Prohibited content and Restricted content, each as detailed below. You may not operate, feature, or otherwise engage with Prohibited content via Google Communication Services. You may not (a) exclusively promote products or services in Restricted content areas via Google Communication Services or (b) send promotional updates, advertisement, or commercial content that exclusively promote the Restricted content. You may promote products or services in Restricted content areas via Google Communication Services if such promotion takes place as part of promoting a wider set of products or services. Always remember to comply with your local laws and regulations.
Google Communication Services does not support unlawful, offensive or inappropriate content. This is a non-exhaustive list of content we do not allow:
- Counterfeit goods
Products described as knock off, replica, imitation, clone, faux, fake, mirror image, or similar terms when referring to a brand name in an attempt to pass themselves off as genuine products of the brand owner.
- Dangerous products or services
Products or services that cause damage, harm, or injury. These include, but are not limited to, illegal drugs, equipment to facilitate illegal drug use, explosive materials, fireworks, weapons, instructions for making explosives or other harmful products.
- Products or services that enable dishonest behaviors
Products, services or content that help users to mislead others such as fake documents, aids to pass drug tests, paper-writing or exam taking services; products, services, or instruction that enable unauthorized access to systems, devices or property.
- Dangerous or derogatory content
Content, products or services that:
- Incite hatred against, promote discrimination of, or disparage an individual or group on the basis of their race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, age, nationality, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or other characteristic that is associated with systemic discrimination or marginalization
- Harass, intimidate, or bully an individual or group of individuals
- Threaten or advocate for harm on oneself or others
- Seek to exploit others (e.g. blackmail, soliciting or promoting dowries)
- Inappropriate use of flags, national emblems, or religious icons and imagery
- Shocking content
Content, products or services that:
- Contain violent language, gruesome or disgusting imagery, or graphic images or accounts of physical trauma
- Contain gratuitous portrayal of bodily fluids or waste
- Contain obscene or profane language
- Likely cause shock, scare or disgust
- Capitalizing on sensitive events
Content which may be deemed as capitalizing on or lacking reasonable sensitivity towards a natural disaster, conflict, death, or other tragic event with no discernible benefit to the victims.
- Animal cruelty
Content that promotes or depicts cruelty or gratuitous violence towards animals, or which may be interpreted as trading in or selling products derived from threatened or extinct species.
- Adult content
Content, products or services that are sexually explicit, sexually suggestive, or promote sexual themes, activities or escort services. Content promoting the sexual exploitation of minors, such as child sexual abuse imagery, is strictly prohibited.
Content, products or services that promote sales or consumption of tobacco, products containing tobacco, component parts of tobacco or products designed to simulate smoking behaviors.
- Political content
All political content must comply with local regulations, including but not limited to restricted types of political content or election silence periods.
- Unauthorized content
Content, products or services that are unauthorized to use copyrighted or trademarked content, or other legally prohibited content.
The policies below cover content that is sometimes legally or culturally sensitive. Google Communication Services can be a powerful way to reach customers, but in sensitive areas, it’s important to avoid showing this content when and where they might be inappropriate.
For that reason, we allow the promotion of the content below, but on a limited basis. These promotions may not show to every user in every location, and advertisers may need to meet additional requirements before their ads are eligible to run. Note that not all ad products, features, or networks are able to support this restricted content.
Content, products or services that promote branding, sales, promotion or consumption of alcoholic beverages. Content that promotes irresponsible alcohol consumption is prohibited.
- Gambling and games
Gambling related content, products, or services, which include but are not limited to legal gambling activities such as: physical casinos, offline and online gambling activities, national or private lottery, promotional offers for gambling sites, and social casino games.
- Healthcare related products and services
Content, products or services that promote branding or sales of prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines, medical suppliers, online pharmacy, unapproved substances, clinical trial recruitment, HIV home test, abortion, birth control products and miracle cures products or services.
WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU VIOLATE OUR POLICIES
Depending on the type of violation of our policies, Google may respond in several different ways. In some cases, we may allow an appeals process for the agents to fix the policy violation. If you believe that your access to suspended or their account suspended in error, you may request an appeal by emailing us at email@example.com. Below is a list of various ways we enforce policies, without limiting Google's rights under applicable law.
We may suspend businesses or other entities from using Google Communication Services if they violate our product policies. This means that the suspended business or entity can no longer use Google Communication Services until the problem is fixed and has passed a policy review.
We may suspend your account if you have several violations or a serious violation. If this happens, all Google Communication Services services will be disabled. Any related accounts, including your new account, may be automatically suspended. We may report any illegal activity if required by law.