Before you begin building your client application, you need to complete these prerequisite steps.
The API is for account-level administrators who have either a Google Apps for Work, Education, or ISP accounts. If your account has multiple domains, only administrators in your account's primary domain can use the API. Learn more about using multiple domains.
Get a Google Account
You need a Google Apps for Work, Education, or ISP account for testing and configuration purposes. Once the account is created, verify your domain ownership. If you already have an account and have verified your domain ownership, then you're all set.
Become familiar with your Google Apps Admin console found at http://admin.google.com. For more information about the Admin console, see Use your Admin console.
Enable your Google Apps APIs and services
- Before you can begin, you need to create a new project in the Google APIs Console.
- Enable API access from your Google Apps Admin console to be able to make API calls to the Groups Settings API. To enable API access, log in to your admin account, and select Security. If you do not see Security listed, select More controls and then select Security from the options shown in the gray box. Select API reference, and then select the checkbox to Enable API access. Save your changes.
- The creation of your groups and group members is a prerequisite to using the Groups Settings API. You can create groups using the Admin console. To programmatically create groups, use the Directory API.
- To ensure email messages are delivered to your groups, activate the Gmail service.
- To use the API, the Google Apps Groups service must be enabled.