Agenda Maker for Google Calendar
Creates an agenda for a calendar event you create automatically.
Last updated: July, 2020
Contributed by Jeremy Glassenberg Site
So many meetings are time lost. No agenda means no one is prepared to discuss. No minutes means no one will remember what was decided. Most companies ask everyone to set agendas for their meetings, but can't create a good habit.
It's just too burdensome to create an agenda, but very easy to create a meeting. With Agenda maker, the process of creating an agenda is much easier.
By simply adding "#agenda" to the description of your Google Calendar invite, an agenda will be created for your meeting, with a Google Docs reminder to fill it in.
- Uses Apps Script, allowing for rapid development and worry-free operation.
- Uses the Google Docs API to create a new Google Doc from the Agenda Template
- Uses the Google Drive API to set up an agenda folder
- Uses the Calendar API to detect new events and update the event description with a link to the Agenda.
First, create the script:
- Click here to open the code in the Apps Script code editor.
- Click the menu item File > Make a copy to get your own copy. You can later access this copy in the Google Workspace Developer Hub.
- Run the
setUpfunction to set up a trigger for calendar changes.
Finally, test that your script is working:
- Open Google Calendar.
- Begin creating a new event.
- In the description, enter a description you'd like, and add "#agenda" where you'd like to create the agenda.
- Wait for an email from Google Docs, or refresh Google Calendar and click on the event again. You should see a link to a newly created Agenda document to edit.
Note: All attendees will receive the invitation from Google Docs in addition to your invite, to view the agenda. They will have editing rights, but you can adjust the script to give commenter or viewer rights.
If you'd like to adjust the style of the Agenda template:
- After creating your first agenda in a calendar event, visit to your Google Drive account.
- In Google Drive there should be a folder named "Agenda Maker - App."
- Within that folder, look for the file named "Agenda TEMPLATE##." This is the template you can adjust.
To get started with Google Apps Script, try out the codelab which guides you through the creation of your first script.
You can also view the full source code of this solution on GitHub to learn more about how it was built.
Were you able to get the solution up and running?
If you have an idea for another solution you'd like to see featured in our gallery submit a request on the GitHub issue tracker.