This page contains the details of a technical writing project accepted for Season of Docs.
- Open source organization:
- Open Source Geospatial Foundation
- Technical writer:
- Project name:
- Review OSGeoLive Quickstarts
- Project length:
- Standard length (3 months)
- Update documents to keep them current, accurate and relevant.
- Create a template to ensure consistency across the docs, and for future new Quickstarts added.
- New users of OSGeo live
- Writers of new OSGeo Live Quickstarts
Here's what I think needs to be done:
- Run through the 50 existing OSGeo Live Quickstarts
- Mark-up with edits. Send for review.
- Implement the review/feedback
- Create Quickstart template to implement consistency for future.
- Update the 'How to do a Quick Start procedure'.
- Add new apps to OSGeoLive - they need Quickstarts.
What I propose to do:
Review 50 existing OSGeo Live Quickstart guides and mark-up with edits - using these pages as reference:
Create documentation issues in trac (Issue tracker)
Provide a report summarising the outcome. For example, percentage of the 50 that require minimal, medium or a lot of work.
Create a Quickstart template to implement consistency for future.
Update the 'How to document the Quickstart file' page.
What you will have at the end of SoD:
- 50 documentation tickets in trac, with marked up Quickstarts as per agreed Quickstart template
- A snapshot of the current status of the OSGeo Live Quickstarts and how much work is required to update them.
- An updated Quickstart template consistent with the Training Guide template.
- An updated Quickstart documentation process.
Where I'll start:
- Look at OSGeo-Live Packages spreadsheet to see which packages have changed between releases.
- Ask the OSGEo Live mailing list if they have suggestions for specific Quickstarts to start with.
What I've already done:
- Set up my VM and installed OSGeoLive
- Forked the OSGeoLive-Doc repo
- Gained access to trac and reviewed some existing doc tickets. Ticket #1382 looks relevant: https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeolive/ticket/1382
- Participated in mailing list discussions
- Had a few informal video chats