This page contains the details of a technical writing project accepted for Season of Docs.
- Open source organization:
- GStreamer Editing Services
- Technical writer:
- Project name:
- Documentation update of the GES library
- Project length:
- Standard length (3 months)
I would like to participate in the Season of Docs program and work as a Technical Writer with the organisation: GStreamer Editing Services (GES). I have gone through the suggested projects by the GES team and I believe that I can enhance the documentation. Per my discussion with Alexandru Balut from GES, I would like to make the following documentation updates (in decreasing order of priority):
- I will revamp this page to update the overview of the GES library. This page will be updated to contain a hierarchy of all the classes, as mentioned in this page. This page will contain details about all the tasks/functionalities that can be achieved by implementing the GES library. For example, assets and proxy management in a GES project, timelines, layers, clips, effects. This page will have examples that can help an end-user to understand the functionality better. For example, how can one apply an effect on a clip so that the clip is rotated 0 degrees at the start and 180 degrees at the end. This page will be updated to have cross-references to all the children pages.
- For an individual class, I will create UML diagrams to show the relationship between that class and the related classes.
- I will call out the various synchronous and asynchronous operations that send error codes. Synchronous operations send return codes such as boolean (True=success False=error) while asynchronous operations do not send any return code. As error codes will be encountered by any new user of this library, it is important that error codes are documented elaborately.
- In the current documentation, there are multiple instances where there is missing information about members, fields, parameters. Constants/classes/parameters in virtual methods (as well as the virtual method itself) do not have description. On an ad-hoc basis, I will identify all the missing gaps in the API and fix those. This will be an ongoing task during the project duration.