Google uses Payoneer to pay Google Summer of Code Students and Organizations. Payoneer is a fast and convenient way to receive payments globally.
If your organization participated in GSoC 2017, 2018 or 2019 and already created a Payoneer account then this is going to be very quick and easy for you - keep reading! If you haven’t created a Payoneer account read the instructions below carefully and complete all the steps before the required dates.
I. Included in your payment:
- $500 per student developer for your organization (often called the mentor stipend) though the money does not generally go to the actual mentor. One payment is sent to the org, and if the org wishes to disburse the funds to their mentors they are welcome to do that on their own.
Example: If you have 8 accepted students you’ll receive $4,000.
We use May 12th as the cutoff date for student developers. If the student drops out after May 12th, you remove them for being inactive during community bonding, or they fail later in the program, it won’t affect your mentor stipend amount.
II. How to claim your payment - choose which option fits your situation
A. My org did NOT participate in Google Summer of Code 2017, 2018 or 2019:
- Fill out the payment request form by Monday, June 1. You must include the email address for the person responsible for accepting payment at your organization.
- By June 5, Google Program Admins will send a registration token link via email to the person responsible for accepting payment. Important: only register with the link that is sent by the Google team. Do not sign up directly on the Payoneer website as this will cause payment delays and headaches for you and Google.
- Once the registration link is received, the designated person responsible
for accepting payment will follow the one-time registration instructions on
the Payoneer website, this must be completed before July 1.
- Once the account has been approved by Payoneer, the designee will receive an email with a link to complete their tax form. This must be completed before July 15.
- All funds will be transferred by September 30.
B. My org participated (and was paid) in Google Summer of Code 2017, 2018 and/or 2019:
- Go to your Payoneer dashboard and ensure that all of your banking and contact information is up date and accurate.
- If any changes are needed, you can do it via your Payoneer dashboard or if you are having problems you can contact Payoneer to request changes be made on your behalf.
- Fill out the payment request form by Monday, June 1.
- All funds will be transferred by September 30.
III. Important Dates
- June 1: Orgs fill out the payment request form
- June 5: Google Program Admins will send out registration tokens to new orgs
- July 1: Deadline to complete Registration with Payoneer
- July 15: Deadline to complete tax form available on your Payoneer account
- By September 30: All organizations get paid
It says my Payoneer account is not linked to the Google Summer of Code program. How do I fix that?
This means you did not register via the link sent to you from Payoneer. Please contact Payoneer directly and let them know you are part of the GSoC Org program distribution - it can take several weeks to get sorted out.
Am I required to submit a tax form? I’m not based in the US/It’s too time consuming/too complicated/doesn’t pertain to me/etc?
Yes, all Google Summer of Code organizations are required to complete a tax form to enroll on the Payoneer website. We cannot provide any tax advice. As you go through the tax form wizard on the Payoneer website it asks questions which will help you determine which form you need to complete.
What tax form am I required to complete?
We cannot provide any tax advice. As you go through the tax form wizard on the Payoneer website it asks questions which will help you determine which form you need to complete. Please contact a local tax professional if you have any tax questions.
I need to change or update my bank account in Payoneer. How do I do this?
You can go to your Payoneer dashboard and update your account as needed. Alternatively you can contact Payoneer customer support and they will update the information on your behalf.
My organization is based in India and I am not able to choose the prepaid card option on the Payoneer website. What's going on?
At this time, the pre-paid card option is not available in India. You must choose a direct bank transfer instead.
I am having problems setting up my account. Where can I go for help?
If you have any questions regarding your Payoneer account, please be sure to contact Payoneer directly via their contact page. You can also use the link in your Payoneer "My Account" page. Payoneer offers multilingual customer support for all payment related issues via e-mail, telephone and live chat.
If your card is lost or stolen, please contact Payoneer immediately so it can be disabled and a new card will be sent to you.
My organization doesn't have an entity that can accept funds. Can I accept funds on my organization's behalf?
Yes, you can be paid by Payoneer and set up the account in your name to receive the funds on behalf of the organization. You are responsible for any tax implications.
You may also want to consider joining the Software Freedom Conservancy (or a similar organization) that can provide infrastructure for FLOSS projects and can help you manage the payment process.
What if my organization doesn't want to accept funds?
Please complete the payment request form even if you do not plan to accept any money from Google. There is an option to decline funds, so you will not receive reminders to register for a Payoneer account. We need a record of you declining the funds.
What if my organization would like to donate these funds?
We can not issue payment to another charity/non-profit for you. You are welcome to accept the funds and then distribute them yourself. Please consider donating your funds to Software Freedom Conservancy.
What if we need to change the email address associated with our initial registration?
Google will submit payments based on the email address provided in the payment request form (which becomes the identifier for your org). If you are the person in charge of receiving payments for two or more orgs then you should notify Google Admins so we can make special accommodations for your multiple payments.