Universal Analytics is a set of technological innovations that improve the way data is collected and processed in Google Analytics.
The Universal Analytics Upgrade is a process you can use to upgrade all of your classic Google Analytics properties into Universal Analytics properties without losing any data or changing your account settings.
All Google Analytics properties will soon be required to use Universal Analytics. Any properties that don’t follow the upgrade process will be auto-transferred to Universal Analytics in the future.
The following resources will help you get started with the Universal Analytics upgrade:
- Upgrade Process Guide: Step by step guide to the Universal Analytics Upgrade.
- Retagging Reference Guides: Technical reference guides for developers updating their tracking code.
- Frequently Asked Questions: Answers to common question about the Universal Analytics Upgrade.
Benefits of Upgrading to Universal Analytics
Universal Analytics gives you access to improved data processing, new collection methods, and more analysis tools. When you complete the entire upgrade process, you get access to the following benefits:
Get the new and more flexible data collection methods that let you track any digital device.
Use simplified and more accessible configuration options.
Create custom dimensions & custom metrics to collect data that's unique to your business.
Custom dimensions and custom metrics are like default dimensions and metrics in your Analytics account, except you create and define them yourself. They're powerful tools you can use to collect and segment data that Google Analytics doesn’t automatically track, like product details, levels in games, or authors of content pages. Learn more about custom dimensions and custom metrics.
Stay up to date with new features and updates.
Universal Analytics Upgrade Timeline
Over time, Universal Analytics will become the new operating standard for Google Analytics. The transition from classic Google Analytics to Universal Analytics will happen incrementally over several phases:
Phase 1: All properties can upgrade to Universal Analytics. (Current Phase)
- The option to upgrade Universal Analytics will roll out to standard accounts. Once this option is available in your account, it will appear in the Admin section. Users with Edit Access can initiate the upgrade process by using the upgrade tool to transfer classic properties to Universal Analytics. Google Analytics Premium accounts won’t see the tool until Phase 3.
- Properties prefixed with YT / MO can transfer, but data sent to these properties will not be processed by Universal Analytics technology until Phase 2.
- Users can implement a version of the Universal Analytics tracking code when a property transfer is complete.
Users who need the following related features should wait until Phase 3 to upgrade:
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting
- DoubleClick Campaign Manager Reporting
- Google Analytics Demographics and Interests Reports
Phase 2: Auto-transfer process begins.
The following properties will be auto-transferred to Universal Analytics:
- Mobile App SDK implementations using versions earlier than v2.x.
- Properties with WAP/server-side snippets or sending data prefixed with YT / MO.
- All other non-ga.js (web) implementations.
Auto-transfer of web (ga.js) properties also begins, but will continue through the next phase.
Users will not receive notification prior to the auto-transfer, but will see a status message on the tracking code page in their accounts regarding the progress of the upgrade. Users can implement a version of the Universal Analytics tracking code when their property transfer is complete.
Phase 3: Universal Analytics out of beta.
- Universal Analytics supports Premium SLA and Premium accounts can transfer properties to Universal Analytics.
- Universal Analytics is the only option for new properties.
- All users should complete their implementation of the Universal Analytics tracking code (analytics.js for websites, SDK v2.x or higher for Android and iOS for mobile apps, and the Measurement Protocol for all other digital devices).
Phase 4: Universal Analytics is the operating standard for Google Analytics.
- All properties have been upgraded into Universal Analytics.
- The following features will be deprecated:
- WAP/server-side snippets
- YT / MO
- Custom variables
- User defined variables
- Data collected from the deprecated features will be processed for a minimum of 2 years.
Ready to upgrade? Get started using the Universal Analytics Upgrade Guide.