Deployments allow you to make your Community Connector available to use and test. The Head Deployment is created by default in Apps Script and will always contain the current working version of the code. However, you can have additional deployments based on separate versions of your Community Connector. For example, in addition to the head deployment, you may want to have a testing or QA deployment, and a production deployment. That way you only release stable and tested versions of your connector to users.
Maintain different versions of your code
As you develop your Community Connector in Apps Script, you should maintain separate versions of your connector code for production and development. You should also become familiar with how to deploy different versions.
To maintain different versions of the Apps Script project, please see the Versions documentation for Apps Script.
Create separate deployments
To create additional deployments for your connector, follow these steps:
- In the Apps Script development environment, Click on Publish > Manage Deployments. You should see the Deployments screen with all the current deployments listed. At minimum, Latest Version (Head) will be listed.
- Click on Create > From manifest. Options for a new deployment should appear on the screen.
- Enter the Deployment name.
- Select an existing version to deploy or create a new one based on the current code.
- Click Save. The new deployment will be created with the selected version of the code and the provided deployment name.
The newly created deployment will have it's own deployment ID and deep-link.
Add updates to an existing deployment
If you are publishing or sharing your connector with other users, you might want to provide patches or updates in the future. To do so, first, save your updated code to a new version. Then Edit the existing deployment in the deployments list and choose the version you want to deploy. This way, the users do not have to do anything additional and will receive the update automatically.
Best practice: keep separate head, test(QA) and production deployments
Your Latest Version (Head) deployment will always contain the latest version of the code. This deployment should be used for development purposes only. In addition to the head deployment, you should also have a testing(QA) deployment and a production deployment. As you develop your connector, you should maintain incremental versions of your code and then assign appropriate versions to the testing(QA) and production deployments.