Every software engineer is also a writer. Improve your technical writing skills by taking one of Google's free technical writing courses. We've aimed these courses at people in the following roles:
- professional software engineers
- computer science students
- engineering-adjacent roles, such as product managers
The courses are free, fun, and valuable to your career. Thousands of Google software engineers have taken and loved these courses. Note that these courses focus on technical writing, not on general English writing or business writing.
You need at least a little writing proficiency in English, but you don't need to be a strong writer to take these courses. You will find these courses easier to understand if you have at least a little background in coding, though you don't need to be an expert coder.
We're currently offering the following courses:
- Technical Writing One, which covers the critical basics of technical writing.
- Technical Writing Two, which covers intermediate topics in technical writing.
- Tech Writing for Accessibility, which covers how to make your documents more accessible for everyone.
Each course consists of the following two parts:
- self-paced online pre-class material
- virtual live session
Though not a requirement, we strongly recommend studying the self-paced online pre-class material prior to attending a virtual live session. Click one of the following links to access the self-paced online pre-class material:
Going forward, most of the public courses listed in the "Schedule" section are facilitated by people who don't work for Google. We are very grateful to these volunteers! As these volunteers are not Google employees, Google can't accept any responsibility for false or misleading statements made during these public classes.
Thank you to all the facilitators who led technical writing classes in 2022 and to all of our wonderful students.
We don't offer a way to preregister for virtual live sessions. To attend a virtual live session, consult the following table and click the appropriate Google Meet link at the specified time. You should only attend one virtual live session of Technical Writing One and one virtual live session of Technical Writing Two.
|Course||Date||PT||ET||Google Meet link||Facilitator|
|Technical Writing One||Tue. Feb. 14, 2023||10:00 AM - 12:30 PM||1:00 PM - 3:30 PM||Google Meet||Kevin McGrail|
|Technical Writing One||Tue. Feb. 21, 2023||10:30 AM - 1:00 PM||1:30 PM - 4:00 PM||Google Meet||Charlene Kuye|
|Technical Writing Two||Wed. Mar. 15, 2023||9:00 AM - 11:30 AM||12:00 PM - 2:30 PM||Google Meet||Barry Rosenberg|
- AEST: Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +10)
- AEDT: Australian Eastern Daylight Time (UTC +11)
- CEST: Central European Summer Time (UTC +2)
- BST: British Summer Time (UTC +1)
- GMT: Greenwich Mean Time (UTC +0)
- IST: India Standard Time (UTC +5.30)
SGT: Singapore Time (UTC +8)
PT: United States Pacific Time (UTC -8)
ET: United States Eastern Time (UTC -5)