Every software engineer is also a writer. Improve your technical writing skills by taking one of Google's free technical writing courses. We've aimed these courses at people in the following roles:
- professional software engineers
- computer science students
- engineering-adjacent roles, such as product managers
The courses are free, fun, and valuable to your career. Thousands of Google software engineers have taken and loved these courses. Note that these courses focus on technical writing, not on general English writing or business writing.
You need at least a little writing proficiency in English, but you don't need to be a strong writer to take these courses. You will find these courses easier to understand if you have at least a little background in coding, though you don't need to be an expert coder.
We're currently offering the following two courses:
- Technical Writing One, which covers the critical basics of technical writing.
- Technical Writing Two, which covers intermediate topics in technical writing.
Each course consists of the following two parts:
- self-paced online pre-class material
- virtual live session
Though not a requirement, we strongly recommend studying the self-paced online pre-class material prior to attending a virtual live session. Click one of the following links to access the self-paced online pre-class material:
We don't offer a way to preregister for virtual live sessions. To attend a virtual live session, consult the following table and click the appropriate Google Meet link at the specified time. You should only attend one virtual live session of Technical Writing One and one virtual live session of Technical Writing Two.
|Course||Time*||Google Meet link|
|Technical Writing One||1:00pm - 3:30pm on May 4, 2021 CEST
12:00pm - 2:30pm on May 4, 2021 BST
|Click to join class|
|Technical Writing One, Train the Trainer**||11:00am - 12:15pm on May 17, 2021 PT||Click to join class|
|Technical Writing Two||12:00pm - 2:30pm on May 20, 2021 PT||Click to join class|
|Technical Writing One||9:00am - 11:30am on June 16, 2021 PT||Click to join class|
* Time zones
- AEST: Australian Eastern Standard Time (UTC +10)
- AEDT: Australian Eastern Daylight Time (UTC +11)
- CEST: Central European Summer Time (UTC +2)
- BST: British Summer Time (UTC +1)
- GMT: Greenwich Mean Time (UTC +0)
- IST: India Standard Time (UTC +5.30)
- PT: Pacific Time (UTC -8)
- SGT: Singapore Time (UTC +8)
** Train the Trainer
Train the Trainer is a special short session for people who are considering teaching Technical Writing One. This is a great opportunity to learn how to teach the course. If you want to take the course—but you have no intention of teaching the course—please go to a different session.