The Google tag (gtag.js) is a single tag you can add to your website to use a variety of Google products and services (e.g., Google Ads, Google Analytics, Campaign Manager, Display & Video 360, Search Ads 360). Instead of managing multiple tags for different Google product accounts, you can use the Google tag across your entire website and connect the tag to multiple destinations. Learn more about the Google tag
The best way to measure conversions and optimize the value of your Google marketing investment is to place tags on every page of your site. By implementing the Google tag across your site, you gain access to the following benefits:
- Future-proof conversion measurement. Benefit from the latest features and integrations as they become available so that you are better equipped to continue measuring conversions accurately if changes occur.
- Codeless tag management. Turn on measurement features within Google products without having to manually change the tags on your page.
- Faster and easier integration. Streamlined, simpler implementation and integration with other Google products, such as Analytics, Optimize, and Google Ads.
- More accurate conversion measurement. The Google tag helps you achieve more accurate conversion measurement when cookies are not available and recover conversions not observed today due to industry factors.
Using the Google tag
The model for using the Google tag is as follows:
- Add the Google tag to every page of your website.
gtag()commands to send data to Google products (e.g. Google Ads, Google Analytics).
Once you add the tag, you can configure the same tag for multiple products.
For product-specific documentation related to the Google tag, refer to the following:
- Google Ads conversions and remarketing
- Google Analytics
- Campaign Manager and Display & Video 360
- Search Ads 360