Build tools to work with APIs
You can use the Google API Discovery Service to build client libraries, IDE plugins, and other tools that interact with Google APIs. It provides a lightweight, JSON-based API that exposes machine-readable metadata about Google APIs, including:
- A directory of supported APIs.
- A machine-readable "Discovery document" for each of the supported APIs that includes:
- A list of API resource schemas based on JSON Schema.
- A list of API methods and available parameters for each method.
- A list of available OAuth 2.0 scopes.
- Inline documentation of methods, parameters, and available parameter values.
What's using it?
Google has built several tools using the service:
- Google API client libraries: Client libraries in various languages for accessing Google APIs.
- Google APIs Explorer: An interactive web-based tool for exploring Google APIs.
- Google API Support in the Google Plugin for Eclipse: An IDE integration that provides support for Google APIs in your Eclipse project.