The global site tag (gtag.js) is a single tag you can implement onto your website in order to use a variety of Google products and services. The tag works with products like Google Ads, Campaign Manager, Display & Video 360, Search Ads 360, and Google Analytics. Instead of having to manage multiple tags for different products, you can just use the global site tag and implement it once across your entire website.
The best way to measure conversions and optimize the value of your Google marketing investment is to place tags on every site of your page. When you implement the global site tag across your entire website, you will gain access to a number of added benefits and enhancements:
- Future-proof conversion measurement. Benefit from the latest features and integrations as they become available so that you are better equipped to continue measuring conversions accurately if changes occur.
- Codeless tag management. Turn on measurement features within Google products without having to manually change the tags on your page.
- Faster and easier integration. Streamlined, simpler implementation and integration with other Google products, such as Analytics, Optimize, and Google Ads.
- More accurate conversion measurement. Global site tags help you achieve more accurate conversion measurement when cookies are not available, and to recover conversions not observed today due to industry factors.
The basic model for using the global site tag is as follows:
- Add the global site tag to every page on your site and configure it to work with each Google product you want to use.
gtag()commands to capture events and send data to one or more products (e.g. Google Ads, Google Analytics, etc.).
Once the tag has been installed, you can configure it to handle multiple products and instrumentations, all from the single tag.
For product-specific documentation related to gtag.js, refer to the following:
- Google Ads conversions and remarketing
- Campaign Manager and Display & Video 360
- Search Ads 360
- Google Analytics