Each week, we provide release notes on this page giving a summary of recent significant changes to the style guide. If there haven't been any significant changes in a given week, we don't publish release notes.
January 13, 2020
January 6, 2020
- Added entries to the word list: DevOps, ECMP, GFE, NoSQL, PostgreSQL. Also updated guidance on virtual machine (VM) instance.
December 23, 2019
- Expanded and clarified the Writing for a global audience page.
- Renamed the "Typographical conventions" page to "Text-formatting summary."
- On the Tables page, clarified guidance about punctuation in table column heads.
- On the Filenames and file types page, added .jar to the list of filename extensions.
- On the UI elements page and the word list, clarified guidance about when to use box and field to refer to text boxes.
December 16, 2019
December 9, 2019
- On the Tables page, added guidance about sorting tables, and clarified guidance about when to use tables.
- Reverted last week's changes about using earlier and later instead of lower and higher; those changes need further refining.
December 2, 2019
November 25, 2019
- On the UI elements and interaction page, added guidance about focusing on the task rather than on UI elements as such.
- On various pages, added cross-references linking to other pages.
November 18, 2019
- Added a new Typographic conventions page.
- Reorganized the Units of measurement page. Also added guidance about Kelvin temperatures.
- On the Cross-references page, clarified guidance about cross-references that aren't links.
- On the UI elements and interaction page, added information about expander arrows.
- Added a term to the word list: slice and dice.
November 11, 2019
- On the Figures and other images page, clarified guidance about figure descriptions.
- On the Units of measurement page, added guidance about ranges of numbers.
- On the Product names page, clarified guidance about using full trademarked product names.
- Added terms to the word list: billing charges, port, repo, UI.
October 28, 2019
October 21, 2019
- Added a page about formatting words as words.
- Added a page about formatting key terms.
- Changed the guidance about how to capitalize a UI element name when the label is all-uppercase in the UI.
- Added guidance about explaining placeholders.
- Updated the list of items to put in code font.
- Clarified the guidance about using official capitalization for names of products.
- Changed the title of the style guide landing page.
- Deleted the page about URLs in links, and moved the material that was on that page to the cross-references page. Also added some examples to that page.
- Removed unnecessary explanations of the icons that indicate that a guideline applies only in Android documentation or only in Google Cloud Platform documentation.
- Added examples to the footnotes page.
- Improved a link on the Accessible content page.
- Added terms to the word list: BMaaS, US.
October 8, 2019
September 30, 2019
- Added a term to the word list: PoP.
September 23, 2019
September 16, 2019
- Added a page about using material from other sources.
- Added guidance about using a and an with product names.
- Removed contradictory guidance about quotation marks with link text.
- Clarified guidance about periods with abbreviations.
- Clarified guidance about capitalization following a colon.
- Moved the list of UI-related verbs from the UI elements page to the word list.
- Also added other terms to the word list: cons, Gbps, Kbps, Mbps, pros. Also updated the entry for service.
June 24, 2019
- Added guidance about US currency to the Numbers page.
June 17, 2019
- Added further guidance about accessibility to the Accessible content page and other related pages.
- Added guidance about graphically violent terms to the Writing inclusive documentation page.
- Added guidance about the term wheelchair-bound to the Writing inclusive documentation page.
- Added guidance about currency to the Units of measure page.
- Added an example showing how to use Markdown to mark up images.
- Added terms to the word list: disclosure triangle, hamburger menu, kebab menu, outpost, STONITH. Also expanded guidance about should.
May 20, 2019
April 29, 2019
April 22, 2019
- Added a term to the word list: method. Also added to the guidance for Cloud.
April 15, 2019
- Added more guidance about digit-group separators on the Numbers page.
- Fixed a broken link on the Numbers page, and another on the Writing for a global audience page.
- Updated guidance about example names on the Example domains and names page.
- Added guidance about removing personally identifying information from screenshots on the Figures and other images page.
- Added guidance about using code font for names of command-line utilities on the Code in text page.
- Added guidance about short and long versions of words like app and demo on the Abbreviations page.
March 4, 2019
- Clarified guidance about person-first and identity-first language on the Writing inclusive documentation page.
- Added guidance about passive voice on the Active voice page.
- Added more guidance about links on the Linking to other sites page.
- Added terms to the word list: guru, spin up. Also revised the guidance for Container Engine.
February 25, 2019
February 4, 2019
January 28, 2019
January 14, 2019
- Added terms to the word list: comprise, console, fail over, GCP Console, Google Cloud Platform Console, populate, surface.
- Reorganized the UI elements page, and added guidance and examples.
- Added Markdown information to the URLs for images page.
- Clarified guidance about end punctuation for lists on the Periods page.
- Clarified guidance about nonbreaking spaces in the Units of measurement page.
December 3, 2018
- Added a term to the word list: lifetime.
- Elaborated on our guidance in the Closed compounds and prefixes section of the word list.
- Added a new page about command-line terminology for gcloud and Linux.
- Added a section on straight and curly quotation marks to the Quotation marks page.
- Added guidance about avoiding overuse of bolding to the Procedures page.
- Added guidance about the phrases hold the pointer over and point to to the UI elements and interaction page.
October 29, 2018
October 8, 2018
September 18, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: GKE, POJO.
September 4, 2018
August 13, 2018
July 30, 2018
June 25, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: IP, SAP.
June 19, 2018
June 12, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: appendix, index, matrix.
May 21, 2018
May 14, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: multi-cluster, via. Clarified guidance on firewalls.
April 2, 2018
March 26, 2018
February 26, 2018
- Added a term to the word list: ad hoc.
February 12, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: Cloud, Container Engine, ephemeral external IP address, firewalls, GCP, GCP project ID, internal IP address, NAT, network IP address, non-key, on-premises, persistent disk, project, RDP, static external IP address, subnet, table name, textbox, turn on.
- Added information about closed compounds and prefixes to the word list.
January 29, 2018
- Added terms to the word list: alpha, autohealing, autoscaling, autotagging, bare metal, beta, CLI, Cloud SDK, colocate, CPU, curated roles, data center campus, data cleaning, data source, ETL, IaaS, impact, ingest, k8s, key pair, PaaS, preemptible, regex, SaaS, screenshot, sign-in, sign into, sign-out, sub-command, v, virtual machine instance.
- Added a section on placeholder variables to the code in text page.
January 8, 2018
December 11, 2017
November 13, 2017
October 23, 2017
September 4, 2017
- Added several more terms to the word list: check, checkbox, clear, deselect, open source, select, target, uncheck, Unix-like, unselect.
- Added material to the Trademarks page about using trademarks as adjectives. Also added links to a couple of other trademark-related pages from Google.
- Removed Android-specific material from the Headings page, to bring Android doc guidelines more into line with non-Android guidelines. Also, added notes about things not to include in headings.
- Removed Android label from material on the Tables page, to make that material also apply to non-Android docs.
- Added mention of degrees and percents to the Units of measurement page.
August 28, 2017
August 21, 2017
July 31, 2017
July 10, 2017
- Added words to the word list: deep linking, jank, wake lock.
June 8, 2017
- Public release.