Technical writer exploration. See timeline.
During the final phase of Season of Docs, mentors evaluate the technical writing project, their experiences with the technical writer, and their overall participation in Season of Docs.
Submitting your evaluation
When the mentor evaluation phase opens, you will be able to submit your evaluation by completing a form that becomes available in the project finalization section of the mentor guide.
Information to include in the evaluation
This section describes the type of information you can supply in your evaluation as a mentor.
The interactions between mentor and technical writer during Season of Docs:
- How often did you and the technical writer communicate?
- How did you communicate with the technical writer?
- On average, how many hours per week did you spend on the technical writing project during Season of Docs? This includes time spent advising the technical writer, reviewing work, planning, and any other activity related to the technical writing project.
- Rate the quality of the technical writer's interactions with you and other mentor(s).
- Rate the quality of the technical writer's interactions with your open source organization and community.
The technical writer's work:
- How close did the technical writer come to completing the project, based on the agreed goals?
- Did the technical writer correctly upload/commit their work?
- Has the open source project merged some/all of the technical writer's work?
- Rate the technical writer's overall performance.
- Do you have any feedback for the technical writer?
General comments about the technical writer's work. For example, consider the following:
- Did the tech writer notice and fix unanticipated problems?
- Did they find bugs in the code?
- Did they suggest changes to field/method names to improve clarity and readability?
- Did they add needed docs that weren't on the original plan?
- Did they improve the open source organization's contribution processes?
Overall assessment of the technical writing project (pass/fail):
- Do you consider the technical writing project successfully completed (Y/N)?
- Justify the above decision. In particular, if you decide to mark the project as not successful, please give the reason(s) for failure.
Your experiences as a mentor in Season of Docs:
- Now that you’ve worked with a technical writer, do you see other parts of your open source project that can benefit from a technical writer’s attention?
- What advice do you give to future Season of Docs technical writers?
- What advice do you give to future Season of Docs mentors?
- Is there anything else you'd like to tell the Google program administrators, or do you have any suggestions on how we can improve the program?
- Did you encounter any delightful surprises as a participant in Season of Docs?