There are many ways to manage your website’s content. Some site owners completely build their own website from scratch. Others may use an existing software package from a company like WordPress, Drupal, or Joomla, which can provide a theme, design, and templates. When using existing website software, the site owner doesn’t build the whole site by creating code, style sheets and scripts, but only provides the content (such as photos, images, and text).
Create a new site
If you are interested in creating an entirely new site and would like to use an existing software package, take a look some of the software packages listed below for some good starting points. Many of these software packages are referred to as “content management systems”, or by their acronym, CMS. Some companies may provide hosting services in addition to providing the software for your website.
Make sure your existing site is mobile friendly
If your website software doesn't have documentation for creating a mobile-friendly site, follow our general guidelines to make sure your website software is mobile friendly:
- Back up your site. We recommend backing up your site before making any changes or updates. If you’re not sure how to backup your site, contact your CMS provider or browse through our webmaster support community.
- Update your CMS to the latest version. In some cases, an update to the latest version automatically applies the necessary security upgrades and make your site mobile-friendly. If the process is not automatically triggered, make sure to push the update manually to prevent security breaches. For example, Joomla 3 comes with mobile support.
- If the CMS offers custom themes, make sure the theme is mobile friendly:
- From the administrative panel of your CMS, view the theme for your site and look for terms like "mobile" or "responsive" in the theme documentation.
- If there is a demo template available, copy and paste the URL of the template into the Mobile-Friendly Test to make sure it is mobile friendly.
- Make sure that template is fast by checking the Speed section of PageSpeed Insights and making sure that the Speed section has no issues marked as “Should Fix.”
- Review support forums for your CMS to see what issues people might be having with the mobile versions of their sites. Visit our webmaster forum for additional guidance and support.
- Use the Mobile-Friendly Test to make sure your site is mobile-friendly.