The Places SDK for Android allows you to build location-aware apps that respond contextually to the local businesses and other places near the device. This means you can build rich apps based on places that mean something to the user, to complement the straightforward geographic-based services offered by the Android location services.
The following interfaces provide the primary entry points to the Places SDK for Android:
Placesprovides programmatic access to Google's database of local place and business information, as well as the device's current place.
Autocompleteprovides pre-made widgets to return place predictions in response to user search queries.
A place is defined as a physical space that has a name. Another way
of thinking about a place is that it's anything you can find on a map.
Examples include local businesses, points of interest, and geographic
locations. In the API, a place is represented by the
interface. It includes information such as the name of the place and its
address, geographical location, place ID, phone number, place type, website
URL, and more.
Help your customers explore where they are and what’s around them:
- Current Place returns a list of places where the user’s device is last known to be located along with an indication of the relative likelihood for each place.
- Place Autocomplete automatically fills in the name and/or address of a place as users type.
- Place Photos returns high-quality images of a place.
- Place Details return and display more detailed information about a place.
- Place IDs stores the unique ID for one or more places for retrieval of place information on demand.