The following instructions show how to use the Google Cloud Console to create, customize, publish, and manage your maps at any time using Map IDs and Map Style.
To create or manage any Map IDs or Map Styles in your Google Cloud project, you must have the Project Owner or Project Editor IAM role.
A Map Style is a unique identifier for a set of customizations that can be associated with any Map ID.
To create a new style:
- In the Google Cloud Console, go to the Map Styles page.
- Select Create New Map Style to open the New Map Style page.
- In the New Map Style page, choose one of the following options:
- Select a Map Style from one of the available style variations.
- Import JSON styling code by pasting your JSON code into the text box on the Import JSON tab.
- Select a Map Style customized to emphasize the goals of a specific industry, such as Travel, Logistics, Real Estate, and Retail.
You can specify additional customizations to map features by clicking Customize in Style Editor. For more information, see Using the style editor.
- To name your Map Style and save your changes, select Save.
Updating style details
On the Map Styles page, select a Map Style to complete the following actions:
- Continue customizing or view style details in the Style Editor by selecting Customize style. For more information, see Using the style editor.
- Rename or edit a description for the style by selecting Edit.
- Duplicate the style by selecting Duplicate.
- Delete the style by selecting Delete.
- View Map IDs associated with the style.
Styles created before September 15, 2020 will not display Google Maps enhanced natural features. To use Google Maps enhanced natural features support for your map styling, you must create a Map Style.
Once your app is delivered to customers, custom styles for maps with Map IDs can be updated from Google Cloud Console. The new styles will be reflected in your app in a few hours.
To make sure new custom styles show up immediately for testing purposes, clear app data from your test device. For more information on clearing data from your device, see Android Help - Free Up Space.
Note that settings can vary by phone. For more information, contact your device manufacturer.