Manage new employee equipment requests
Create a form-based workflow to request equipment from IT for new employees.
Last updated: July, 2019
In this solution, HR submits a request, using Google Forms, for each new employee requiring system access and equipment. They indicate which devices the employee will need under various categories. They also include start dates and office location.
Upon submitting a request, IT is automatically notified to review the request in Google Sheets. They set up system access and prepare devices and equipment for the employee's first day. Upon completion of the task, they update the status column in the sheet. With a custom Apps Script, an email notification is sent to HR once the status is marked as complete.
FormAppservice is used to create a request form.
SpreadsheetAppservice is used to move items in the spreadsheet through the workflow.
- Triggers are used to monitor for new requests and clean up completed items.
MailAppservice is used to send email notifications.
- Create a copy of the sample Equipment request spreadsheet.
- Click the menu item Tools > Script editor to edit the script.
- In the script, change the value of
REQUEST_NOTIFICATION_EMAILto your email address.
- Save the script.
- Close the script editor.
- Click on custom menu item Equipment requests > Setup.
- A dialog box will appear and tell you that the script requires authorization. Read the authorization notice and continue.
- You will see a new Form menu. Click it and select Go to live form.
- Fill out the form and submit your response.
- Check your email for a notification about the equipment request.
- Return to the sheet.
- In the
Pending requeststab, change the status of the request to
- Within 5 minutes, you will receive another email notifying you the request has been completed.
To get started with Google Apps Script, try out the codelab which guides you through the creation of your first script.
You can also view the full source code of this solution on GitHub to learn more about how it was built.
Were you able to get the solution up and running?
If you have an idea for another solution you'd like to see featured in our gallery submit a request on the GitHub issue tracker.