This page provides information about changes in Business Messages.
November 30, 2021
- Debug message delivery issues using the Business Communications Developer Console.
October 18, 2021
- Onboard, verify, and launch Business Profile (formerly Google My Business) locations quickly.
October 12, 2021
- Business Messages now supports Dialogflow ES custom intents. see Add automation with Dialogflow.
October 11, 2021
- Agent metrics are available in the Business Communications Developer Console and via BigQuery. See Monitor agent performance with metrics.
September 20, 2021
- Bot feedback responses enable user feedback on messages sent from
BOTrepresentatives. See Send and receive events and Begin the conversation.
September 09, 2021
- Agent logos are recommended, but no longer required, when creating and
launching agents. See
July 28, 2021
- Surveys now support up to five questions: a required question, up to two template questions, and up to two custom questions. The survey response format is updated to support the new options.
surveyResponse.ratingis deprecated in favor of
surveyResponse.questionResponseText. See Receive survey responses.
July 1, 2021
- Added documentation for the Business Communications Developer Console.
- User management adds support for managing access to your partner account.
April 16, 2021
- The Business Communications Developer Console now supports updating non-local agent information and launching agents in non-local regions.
April 13, 2021
- The Dialogflow integration adds easy automation to Business Messages agents with FAQ bots and automatic responses.
March 29, 2021
- The URL entry point has moved from beta to being generally available. This entry point lets you start conversations with agents from links. See Start conversations from URLs.
March 24, 2021
New phone-based entry point is available.
For details, see Entry points: Where conversations start.
February 4, 2021
- Added documentation for business to consumer image support and updated Kitchen Sink sample to demonstrate the feature.
January 12, 2021
- The Authentication request suggestion is fully released without implementation changes. See Authenticate with OAuth.
December 15, 2020
- Added support for non-local configuration of agents, verification, and launch to the API Explorer sample.
December 7, 2020
- Added Node.js, Java, and Python examples for all messages types in the Send messages guide.
November 24, 2020
- Beta: The URL entry point lets you start conversations with agents from links. See Start conversations from URLs.
November 23, 2020
November 19, 2020
New non-location-based entry points are available to all agents:
- Featured snippets and sitelinks start conversations within users' Search results.
- The Business Messages widget lets you start conversations from a website. See the reference.
For details, see Entry points: Where conversations start.
Beta: Agents can use the Authentication request suggestion to prompt users to sign into compliant OAuth 2.0 providers, which may provide data to personalize conversations and enable agents to perform actions on behalf of users. See Authenticate with OAuth.
November 18, 2020
- Text messages with
truemay include basic Markdown formatting. You can include hyperlinks or make text bold or italics. See Send messages.
- Added a Codelabs section and released the Buy Online Pickup In Store (Part 1) codelab.
November 10, 2020
- Added support for Business Messages in the Business Communications Developer Console. With the console, you can create, verify, and launch agents and locations.
August 7, 2020
representative.avatarImagecustomizes your representatives' images on a message-by-message basis and helps users connect with and understand who they're chatting with.
July 27, 2020
- Added an Appointment Agent sample, which uses Dialogflow and Node.js to power a conversational agent that helps a customer setup an appointment with a business.
July 22, 2020
- The live agent request suggestion guides users to interact with human representatives during complex interactions or when automation can't handle a user request.
June 17, 2020
- Added entry point configuration and agent launch to the Business
Communications API. Agents with locations must now launch on the
LOCATIONentry point prior to launching locations. See Verify an agent or location, Launch an agent, and Business Communications release notes.
June 9, 2020
- In messages from users, the
context.userInfoobject displays user information such as a user's display name. See Receive messages.
June 5, 2020
- Updated Echo Agent samples to include full client SDKs for Java, Python, and Node.js. Samples include expanded functionality for creating cards, carousels, and suggested replies.
May 18, 2020
- The Dial action opens users' default dialer app with the specified phone number pre-populated.
March 30, 2020
- Fallback text that displays if the user's device doesn't support the message type or content. See Send messages.
March 12, 2020
- In Register with Business Messages, updated the recommended service account role to Project > Viewer for enhanced security.
March 10, 2020
- Rich cards and rich card carousels send groups of related information, media, and suggestions to users in a straightforward interface.
- Typing indicators, representative joined/left events, and requests for live agents enrich conversations for both users and agents. See Events.
February 19, 2020
- Delivery receipts inform you when users receive your messages. See the guide and reference.
- Suggested replies and suggested actions guide users to the known and supported capabilities of your agent. See the guides for sending suggested replies, sending suggested actions, and receiving suggestion responses, and see the reference.
- Surveys track user satisfaction directly within your conversations. See the guide and reference.
- Updated Receive messages to include guidance on accepting, acknowledging, and processing incoming user messages.
February 13, 2020
- Added the
agentfield to incoming user messages to assist with per-message agent identification. Only applicable to agents using the Business Messages API.
February 6, 2020
- Metrics covers key agent metrics, improving metrics, and tracking your own metrics.
January 8, 2020
- Begin the conversation covers how to guide users in new conversations with welcome messages and conversation starters.
December 3, 2019
- Best practices updated with content about incoming message de-duplication and handling at-least-once message delivery.