Negative keywords allow you to prevent a campaign from serving ads for specific keywords. Once you have created a Shopping campaign, you can add negative keywords to exclude the campaign from one or more search terms. Negative keywords can be broad, exact or phrase match. You can create a negative keyword by following the steps for Adwords UI or automatic using Adwords API. These steps summarize the process of creating negative keywords.
- Make sure you have already created the Shopping campaign.
- Sign into the AdWords account.
- Understand which AdWords experience you are using and follow the appropriate steps.
- Click the Keywords tab.
- Click the Negative keywords tab.
- Click the + Keywords button, choosing between ad group or campaign.
- Select the ad group or campaign to apply the negative keywords to.
- Enter your keywords and click Save.
- To change the match type, click on the keyword then select the desired match type and click Save. Supported types include:
- Broad match (default)
- Exact match
- Phrase match
- Make sure you've successfully created a campaign and have a campaign ID.
- Create a CampaignCriterionOperation as follows:
- Execute the mutate method of the CampaignCriterionService passing in the list of CampaignCriterionOperation.