This guide is intended for publishers who want to use the Google Mobile Ads SDK to load and display ads from Vungle via mediation.
It covers how to add Vungle to an ad unit's mediation configuration, how to set up Automatic data collection, and how to integrate the Vungle SDK and adapter into an iOS app.
Supported formats and features
The Ad Manager mediation adapter for Vungle has the following capabilities:
|Rewarded Video (new APIs)||Native Ads - Custom Rendering||Features|
|Automatic data collection|
- Xcode 9.2 or higher
- iOS Deployment target of 8.0 or higher
- Google Mobile Ads SDK 7.42.2 or higher
Step 1: Set up Vungle
Add your app to the Vungle Applications dashboard by clicking the Add Application button.
Fill out the form, entering all the necessary details, then click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to add your app to Vungle.
Once your app is created, select your app from the Vungle Applications dashboard.
Take note of the App ID.
Adding new placements
To create a new placement to be used with Ad Manager mediation, navigate to the Vungle Placements dashboard , click on the Add Placement button and select your app from the drop-down list.
Details for adding new placements are included below:
Select Interstitial, enter a Name for your placement and fill out the rest of the form. Click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to create the placement.
Take note of the Reference ID and click Sounds Good.
Select Rewarded, enter a Name for your placement and fill out the rest of the form. Click the Continue button at the bottom of the page to create the placement.
Take note of the Reference ID and click Sounds Good.
In addition to the App ID and the Reference ID, you'll also need your Vungle Reporting API Key to set up your Ad Manager ad unit ID. Navigate to the Vungle Reports dashboard and click on the Reporting API Key button to view your Reporting API Key.
Step 2: Configure mediation settings for your Ad Manager ad unit
Sign in to your Ad Manager account. Navigate to Delivery > Yield groups and click the New yield group button.
Enter a unique Name for your yield group, set the Status to Active, select your Ad Format, and set the Inventory type to Mobile App. Under the Targeting > Inventory section, select the Ad Unit ID to which you want to add mediation.
Next, click the Add yield partner button.
If you already have a Yield partner for Vungle, you can simply select it. Otherwise, select Create a new yield partner.
Select Vungle as the Ad network and enter a unique Name. Enable Mediation and turn on Automatic data collection, and enter the Reporting API Key obtained in the previous section for the API Key. You don't need to enter a Username and Password. Click Save when done.
Once the Yield partner is selected, choose Mobile SDK mediation as the Integration type, iOS as the Platform, and Active as the Status. Enter the Application ID and the Placement Reference ID obtained in the previous section and a Default CPM value.
Click Save at the bottom of the page when done.
Using rewarded video ads
In the settings for your rewarded video ad unit, provide values for the reward amount and reward type. Then, to ensure you provide the same reward to the user no matter which ad network is served, check the Override reward settings from third-party ad networks when using mediation box.
If you don't apply this setting, the Vungle adapter defaults to a reward of
vungle with a value of
1. The Vungle SDK does not provide specific
reward values for its rewarded video ads.
Step 3: Import the Vungle SDK and adapter
Using CocoaPods (recommended)
Add the following line to your project's Podfile:
From the command line run:
pod install --repo-update
Download the latest version of the Vungle SDK and link
VungleSDK.frameworkin your project.
Download the latest version of the Vungle Adapter and link
VungleAdapter.frameworkin your project.
Add the following Frameworks to your project:
Step 4: Add required code
Vungle requires a list of all the placements that will be used within your app
to be passed to their SDK for initialization. You can provide the list of
placements to the adapter using the
allPlacements property. The following code example shows how to use this class.
DFPRequest *request = [DFPRequest request]; VungleAdNetworkExtras *extras = [[VungleAdNetworkExtras alloc] init]; NSMutableArray *placements = [[NSMutableArray alloc]initWithObjects:@"PLACEMENT_ID_1", @"PLACEMENT_ID_2", nil]; extras.allPlacements = placements; [request registerAdNetworkExtras:extras]; [_interstitial loadRequest:request];
Step 5: Test your implementation
To enable test ads, go to your Vungle dashboard and navigate to Applications.
Select your app for which you would like to enable test ads under the Placement Reference ID section of your app. Test ads can be enabled by selecting Test Mode to Show test ads only under the Status section.
That's it! You now have a working mediation integration with Vungle.
EU consent and GDPR
Under the Google EU User Consent Policy, you must ensure that certain disclosures are given to, and consents obtained from, users in the European Economic Area (EEA) regarding the use of device identifiers and personal data. This policy reflects the requirements of the EU ePrivacy Directive and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). When seeking consent, you must identify each ad network in your mediation chain that may collect, receive, or use personal data and provide information about each network's use. Google currently is unable to pass the user's consent choice to such networks automatically.
The section below shows you how to enable or disable personalized ads for Vungle.
In version 18.104.22.168, the Vungle adapter added the
that allows you to pass consent to Vungle. The following sample code sets the
consent status to
VungleConsentAccepted. If you choose to call this method,
it is recommended that you do so prior to requesting ads via the Google Mobile
#import <VungleSDK/VungleSDK.h> #import <VungleAdapter/VungleAdapter.h> ... [VungleRouterConsent updateConsentStatus:VungleConsentAccepted];
You can also check the current consent status for Vungle using the following code:
See Vungle's GDPR recommended implementation for more information.
The Vungle adapter supports an additional request parameter which can be passed
to the adapter using the
VungleAdNetworkExtras class. This class includes the
- Sets whether or not to enable sound when playing video ads.
- A string representing Vungle’s Incentivized User ID.
- An Integer indicating the order in which this ad was shown in the game session. Read more about ordinal data here.
- An Integer to make Flex view ads dismiss automatically after the sepecified number of seconds.
- A String representing Vungle's placement ID.
- An Array consisting of all the Placement ID's in the app (not required for apps implementing Vungle SDK 6.2.0 or higher).
Here's a code example of how to set these parameters at ad request time:
let request = DFPRequest() let extras = VungleAdNetworkExtras() extras.muted = true extras.userId = "test-user" ... request.register(extras)
DFPRequest *request = [DFPRequest request]; VungleAdNetworkExtras *extras = [[VungleAdNetworkExtras alloc] init]; extras.muted = YES; extras.userId = @"test_user"; ... [request registerAdNetworkExtras:extras]; [_interstitial loadRequest:request];
Optimize ad delivery
To ensure Vungle video ads are available as early as possible, you can
optionally initialize the Vungle SDK at the beginning of the application
lifecycle with all the placement IDs your app might use during its execution.
To do so, insert the following code into the
[Vungle configureWithAppID:@"YOUR_VUNGLE_APP_ID" zoneIDs:@[@"PLACEMENT_ID_1", @"PLACEMENT_ID_2"] options:options completion:nil];
Vungle iOS Mediation Adapter Changelog
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.4.6.
- Added support for banner (MREC) ads.
- Fixed a bug where didReceiveInterstitial: callback is called more than once.
- Removed callbacks to adapterWillLeaveApplication, which were previously not invoked at the correct time.
Build and tested with
- Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.52.0
- Vungle SDK version 6.4.6.
- Fixed a crash in [GADMAdapterVungleRewardedAd adAvailable:].
- Fixed a bug where the Vungle adapter would never load rewarded ads if Vungle SDK initialization failed. Now, the adapter will try to re-initialize the Vungle SDK on subsequent rewarded ad requests.
- Now requires Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.42.2 or higher.
- Updated the adapter to use new rewarded API.
- Now requires Google Mobile Ads SDK version 7.41.0 or higher.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.3.2.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.3.0.
adapterDidCompletePlayingRewardBasedVideoAd:callback to the adapter.
VungleRouterConsentclass which contains
- Updated Vungle SDK initializer correctly.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 6.2.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.4.0.
- Updated adapter to correctly report clicks to the Google Mobile Ads SDK.
- Added two new extras to
ordinal- An integer indicating the order in which this ad was shown in the game session.
flexViewAutoDismissSeconds- Sets Flex View ads to automatically close in the specified amount of seconds.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.3.2.
- Updated the deployment target to iOS 8.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.3.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.2.0.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.1.1.
- Verified compatibility with Vungle SDK 5.1.0.
- Added support for interstitial and rewarded video ad formats.